5 national stories of the week

<p>LSU quarterback Joe Burrow holds the trophy as safety Grant Delpit looks on after a NCAA College Football Playoff national championship game against Clemson, Jan. 13, 2020, in New Orleans. LSU won 42-25. <strong>(AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)</strong></p>

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow holds the trophy as safety Grant Delpit looks on after a NCAA College Football Playoff national championship game against Clemson, Jan. 13, 2020, in New Orleans. LSU won 42-25. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

Editor’s Note: This listicle is part of a weekly series by The Ball State Daily News summarizing five stories from across the United States. All summaries are based on stories published by The Associated Press.

Updates on the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, Russians hacking a Ukraine-based company, the final Democratic primary debate, the College Football Playoff Championship and the Academy Awards nominations make up this week’s five national stories.

Sen. Mitt Romney, R-Utah, arrives for a closed meeting with fellow Republicans about the looming impeachment trial of President Donald Trump, Jan. 7, 2020, at the Capitol in Washington. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)

Idea to dismiss articles of impeachment cools in Senate

Senate Republicans signaled they would reject the idea of simply voting to dismiss the articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump as the House prepares to send the charges to the chamber for the historic trial. It will be only the third presidential impeachment trial in American history, a serious and dramatic endeavor coming amid the backdrop of a politically-divided nation and the start of an election year.

Read More: Trump impeachment

President Donald Trump walks along the colonnade of the White House in Washington Jan. 13, 2020. A U.S. cybersecurity company says Russian military agents successfully hacked the Ukrainian gas company at the center of the scandal that led to Trump's impeachment. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

Russians hacked company key to Ukraine scandal: researchers

U.S. cybersecurity company Area 1 Security says Russian military agents have successfully hacked Burisma Holdings, the Ukrainian gas company at the center of the scandal that led to President Donald Trump’s impeachment, in a phishing campaign in early November to steal the login credentials of its employees. Hunter Biden, son of former U.S. vice president and Democratic presidential hopeful Joe Biden, previously served on Burisma’s board.

Read more: Russia

Democratic presidential candidate former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg greets members of the audience at a campaign stop at Iowa State University, Jan. 13, 2020, in Aimes, Iowa. (AP Photo/Andrew Harnik)

6 big questions ahead of final debate before start of voting

Tuesday marks the last time leading Democratic presidential contenders will face a national audience on the debate stage before primary voting begins — the most significant moment of the 2020 primary season to date. The prime-time faceoff comes 20 days before Iowa’s caucuses, as polls suggest the nomination is truly up for grabs. Heading in, there were new signs of tension among top-tier candidates, particularly Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

Read more: Election 2020

LSU quarterback Joe Burrow is tackled by LSU defensive back Maurice Hampton Jr. during the first half of a NCAA College Football Playoff national championship game Jan. 13, 2020, in New Orleans. (AP Photo/Gerald Herbert)

Burrow, LSU cap magical season, beat Clemson 42-25 for title

From small-town Ohio kid to Louisiana legend, Joe Burrow capped his record-breaking, Heisman-winning season by bringing a National Championship to LSU. Burrow threw five touchdown passes, ran for another score and finished off one of the most accomplished seasons in college football history by leading the top-ranked Tigers to a 42-25 victory against No. 3 Clemson Monday night in the playoff final.

Read More: College Football

This image released by Warner Bros. Pictures shows Joaquin Phoenix in a scene from "Joker." On Jan. 13, 2020, the film was nominated for an Oscar for best picture. (Niko Tavernise/Warner Bros. Pictures via AP)

‘Joker’ leads Oscar noms; ‘1917,’ ‘Irishman’ close behind

Female filmmakers were shut out, “Parasite” made history and “Joker” edged out “The Irishman,” “1917” and “Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood” in Monday’s Oscar nominations. Todd Phillips’ “Joker” topped all films with 11 nominations to the 92nd Academy Awards, while Martin Scorsese’s “The Irishman,” Quentin Tarantino’s “Once Upon a Time ... in Hollywood” and Sam Mendes’ “1917” all trailed close behind with 10 nods apiece.

Read More: Academy Awards