Why is donating blood so important?

Here are some of the top reasons:

Someone in the U.S. needs blood every 2 seconds.

1 in 7 people who enter the hospital will need blood.

Blood is necessary for the treatment of accident victims, cancer patients, hemophiliacs, and surgery patients. 

Blood and blood products can not be manufactured. 

Only 37 percent of the U.S. population is eligible to give blood. Less than 10 percent of those who can donate do.

Donating Blood is Easy!

Find your donation site. Every 2 seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood. The Alpha Kappa Psi Business Fraternity is sponsoring this month’s American Red Cross Blood Drive on Monday, Sept. 30 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in Pruis Hall.

Make Your Appointment. Click here and enter sponsor code “ballstate” to schedule your appointment now! All donors will receive a free admission ticket to Stillwell Manor Haunted House and a coupon by email for a free haircut at participating Sport Clips Haircut locations.

Prepare! Make sure to drink plenty of water and eat a healthy meal before your donation appointment.

Register. Sign in at the blood drive. You’ll need to show identification, such as a driver’s license.

Get a Mini Physical. You will be asked to review medical questions in a private and confidential interview. Red Cross staff will take your pulse, blood pressure, temperature, and hemoglobin levels.

Donate. A whole blood donation takes about 8-10 minutes, during which you’ll be seated comfortably or lying down.

Relax. After donating, you will enjoy snacks and refreshments and rest for about 10-15 minutes. Afterward, you can continue with your day knowing that you made and difference and saved a life!

The American Red Cross would like to thank Ball State’s Alpha Kappa Psi chapter for hosting this month’s blood drive. For more information about the blood donation process, visit the American Red Cross’ website.