Bed Races: A Ball State Homecoming tradition

The annual Bed Race took place on Riverside Avenue Oct. 20, 2017, during Homecoming week. Different Ball State organizations teamed up in a group of five to compete against one another in a 100 yard course. 

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.  

Each year, the university closes down a portion of Riverside Avenue for a Homecoming tradition that began in 1980.

Bed Races consists of teams of five — one rider and four pushers — racing down a 100-yard course with a bed on wheels. Teams compete two at a time to see who will clock the fastest time.

In this image from the Sept. 30, 1981, edition of The Daily News, Sigma tau Gamma members race down the street in the Bed Races. 

Teams compete in divisions, with trophies handed out in each division. The teams with the fastest times in each division advance to the final competition to compete for the overall title. Additionally, a trophy is handed out to the team with the best costume. 

In the Sept. 27, 2008, Alpha Phi Alpha pushes their teammate in the Bed Races. The fraternity won the award for best dressed. 

The annual tradition originally began when students used beds from the nearby fraternity houses. They attached welded wheels onto the frames and ran down the streets with the beds. Eventually, the university opened a welding shop that made the beds for participants for the Bed Race. 

In 1981, The Daily News reported 67 teams competed, up 19 from the year previous.

Teams used to put the lightest person on the bed, in the hopes they could push it faster. However, in an October 1997 edition of The Daily News, Ilan Eframian, Bed Race chairman at the time, said the strategy changed a little bit. 

In the Oct. 16, 1997, edition of The Daily News, members of Sigma Phi Epsilon can be seen dressed up to participate in the annual bed races. 

“Teams used to pick the lightest person to push on the bed, this didn’t work because it made the bed wobbly and slower,” Eframian said. “This year the fatter the person the better, because it holds the bed solid on the ground, making it go faster.”

Traditionally, the entry fee for the races is $25. 

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.