Man charged with alleged sexual assault at Ball State fraternity house

After a Michigan City man was charged with in an alleged sexual battery in an incident involving a Ball State student, the Ball State University Interfraternity Council Executive Board released a statement on its official Twitter page

In the post, IFC said the community will continue to be at the “forefront of sexual assault prevention and awareness on our campus” and practice the motto of “Step In and Speak Up” to help stop sexual assault.

The man charged in the alleged sexual battery is 19-year-old Ryan Christopher Joseph Smith, who is accused of attacking a female student in the Phi Sigma Kappa house on Oct. 22, according to an affidavit obtained by the Star Press.

According to the report, the victim told university police she went to the fraternity house with a friend for a party. 

The victim said she was dancing in the basement of the house when “a random guy grabbed her belt loops on her pants [and] pulled her backwards and up against his body,” according to the report.

After grabbing her, the guy “started putting his hands all over her body,” and when she tried to get away, he put his hand over her throat.

The victim’s breasts were fondled under her clothing, according to the report, and when the man tried to touch her elsewhere, someone else in the basement reportedly said, “not below the waist.”

The "random guy" who assaulted her was later identified as Smith.

Smith has posted a $5,000 bond and is scheduled to appear for an initial hearing on Jan. 25 in Delaware County.