Student uses drone footage to capture the beauty of Indiana

<p>Sophomore Telecommunications major Nevin Markitan filmed and produced a drone video that captures the beauty of Indiana in the fall. Teri Lightning Jr., DN</p>

Sophomore Telecommunications major Nevin Markitan filmed and produced a drone video that captures the beauty of Indiana in the fall. Teri Lightning Jr., DN

When picturing the country’s most beautiful features, the landscape of Indiana may not immediately come to mind. 

But one Ball State student has used drone footage of Ball State and parts of Martinsville to showcase the beauty of Indiana, particularly in the fall.

Nevin Markitan, a sophomore telecommunications major, has always been interested in video production and found that drones were an interesting new way to experiment with video footage.

“I really wanted something that would improve the cinematic look of the stuff I wanted to do,” Markitan said. “Plus, I’ve always been a big fan of just RC [Remote Control] stuff, and so the drones have a combination of that.”

Drones have become increasingly popular over the past few years, with their ability to reach heights and angles that other cameras are unable to compete with.

Their popularity is bringing them into mainstream media uses. Ball State even offers a telecommunication class on drone operations for video production.

“They’re a fairly cheap alternative to be able to get those shots,” Markitan said. “It was a way for indie film makers, like myself, to be able to get like really high quality footage without having to rent a helicopter to get aerial footage.”

The video, which was Markitan’s first fully-developed drone project, gathered a lot more attention than was expected.  After being shared multiple times on Facebook, the video was picked up by WTHR-TV, which encouraged Markitan to send it to Channel 13.

“I didn’t expect to hear anything back, but I thought, 'What’s the worst they can say?'” Markitan said. “It’s better to do it than not at all.”

The video made it on the news channel, as well as the Channel 13 Facebook page, where Markitan said it gathered even more attention. Fox 59 and CBS then contacted Markitan for permission to share it on their Facebook pages.

“It was definitely very exciting,” Markitan. “One thing I’ve noticed is that people love Indiana. Regardless of the times you may hate it — because there’s nothing to do or you might say, it’s just a boring place — but it really is beautiful in the fall, and people definitely appreciate that.”