Women's volleyball aims stay consistent at weekend tournament

Junior outside hitter Sabrina Mangapora celebrates after a score at the game against IUPUI on Aug. 31 at John E. Worthen Arena. Kyle Crawford // DN

Active Ankle Challenge schedule

Friday, Sept. 16

Ball State vs. UNC-Greensboro, 10 a.m.

Ohio State vs. Valparaiso, 12 p.m.

UNC-Greensboro vs. Ohio State 6 p.m.

Ball State vs. Valparaiso, 8 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 17

Valparaiso vs. UNC-Greensboro, 4 p.m.

Ball State vs. Ohio State, 6 p.m.

Consistency will be the goal for women's volleyball when the Cardinals (2-9) host the Active Ankle Challenge Sept. 16 and 17.

Head coach Kelli Miller said it's the reason why the Cardinals lost their first nine games.

“One match will look great, and one will be very average," she said. "This is one thing we have been consistently talking about. We need to keep a consistent level of play and consistent energy so that we don’t have to hope that things happen — we want to know that we can make things happen."

Miller said the Cardinals displayed that improved consistency last weekend, when Ball State won its first two matches of the season against Morehead State and Appalachian State.

“It was nice to finally get the monkey off our back and be able to finally get a win," she said. "I think that was a nice load of confidence for us. It’s nice to know that we have all the pieces to be able to win matches as long as we can just remain consistent, which is what we did for those two matches.”

The Cardinals defense recorded 110 digs against Appalachian State.  The last time the team collected this many digs in a single match was in 2006, with 123. This weekend, Ball State will again focus on defense.

“We have to be able to maintain playing that style of defense, and it started with our blockers understanding their responsibilities, like taking away the appropriate shot and then our defenders just worked hard,” Miller said.

Ball State has three matches scheduled this weekend, starting with a double-header Sept. 16 against UNC-Greensboro (10 a.m.) and Valparaiso (8 p.m.). The team will close out the weekend Sept. 17 when they host Ohio State at 6 p.m.