Air Jam to host two shows during 2016 Homecoming Week

DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY
DN PHOTO TAYLOR IRBY

There's one less reason to worry about getting into an Air Jam show this year.

Due to fire codes and limited seating in Emens Auditorium, the Homecoming Steering Committee will be hosting two sessions of Air Jam shows Oct. 20 at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. 

“If we just had one show, very few people would be able to come," said Air Jam chair Catherine Burgess. "We want as many people to enjoy the show as possible.”

Air Jam, which features Ball State organizations lip-syncing while performing choreographed dances to a cheering crowd, will also only be accepting 15 teams to participate in the show — a drop from the original 20 — due to time constraints between the two shows.

Although there are two shows taking place, there will only be one winner, Burgess said. The scores from two sets of judges, one set at each show, will be calculated and the overall winner will be announced at the end of the 9 p.m. show. There will also be a crowd favorite announced from each show, with the number of retweets each group receives determining the winner.

Because of the limited available seating, students also cannot preorder tickets. However, each Ball State ID allows students to purchase 10 tickets to either the 7 p.m. or 9 p.m. shows.

Organizations hoping to compete in the show lined up hours in advance to sign up for the event Sept. 27. Olivia Coomer, vice president of the Association of Collegiate A Capella at Ball State, said she was excited her group would be able to compete, and students from the club were already beginning to practice their routines. 

“Our group is excited to have the opportunity to perform twice," Coomer said. "We work hard for weeks before Air Jam choreographing and teaching our dance, so we like that we get the chance to be on stage more than once this year.”

Tickets for students wanting to watch the Air Jam shows are $15 and go on sale Oct. 6 at Sursa Box Office.