Bachelor is "genuinely amazing guy," students say

THE BACHELOR - Ben Higgins, the handsome software salesman who was sent home by Kaitlyn Bristowe last season on "The Bachelorette," confessed to Kaitlyn that he thought he was "unlovable." Even so, he saw a "great life" with her, only to have his hopes dashed and his heart broken when he was left without a rose. Now, Ben is ready to open himself up again to love, but he still has the lingering fear of being unlovable. He will attempt to put his heartbreak behind him and overcome that fear as he searches for his one true love and, maybe more importantly, a woman who loves him back. (ABC/Craig Sjodin)

The Bachelor and Bachelorette contestants still together: 

Katilyn Bristowe and Shawn Booth 

Desiree Hartsock and Chris Siegfried

Sean Lowe and Catherine Giudici

Ashley Herbert and J.P. Rosenbaum

Jason Mesnick and Molly Malaney 

(via Entertainment Online)

The Bachelor airs on Mondays at 8:00 PM ET followed by The Bachelor Live at 10:00 PM ET

Before he became “The Bachelor,” Ben Higgins was a counselor for kids at summer camp and a quarterback for his high school in Warsaw, Ind.

Now, Higgins has a considerably recognizable face in America as “The Bachelor” in the 20th season of the show. But some Ball State students knew about Higgins before the roses and exotic dates. 

Alexi Demopoulos, a junior life science major, knew Higgins in middle school. Demopoulos called Higgins an “important mentor” in his life, and a “genuinely amazing guy.”

Higgins was also Demopoulos’ counselor at Camp With An Impact, run through Warsaw Community Church. The camp is specifically for kids in fifth and sixth grade, and aims to “unplug” students from daily life and allow them to focus on their faith.

“He’s naturally loving towards others and he takes the time to truly get to know you,” Demopoulos said. “I am honored to know [Higgins] and truly aspire to be like [him] some day.”

Erin Clemens, a freshman radiography major, also has experience with Higgins, though less first hand. One of Clemens’ older brothers played football with Higgins, and during the summer she said “everybody [wanted] to talk to him” after his stint as a contestant on "The Bachelorette." 

“He talked with my other brother and from what I heard he seems like a nice guy,” Clemens said. “He seemed to always be doing mission trips and stuff.”

The popularity of Higgins has risen in Warsaw. At Warsaw High School’s homecoming, “tons” of people took their pictures with him. People even go to the YMCA to try and find him.

Clemens also said many who live in Warsaw "go crazy” on Monday nights when the show airs. She often has to avoid social media if she misses an episode.

“I don’t want any spoilers,” Clemens said. “[Even] adults are talking about it too.”

Marissa Kay, a freshman advertising major, knows all about the hype surrounding Higgins, even if she’s not from Warsaw. Kay has been watching “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette” since previous Bachelorette Andi Dorfman's season. 

So far, she’s been very impressed with Higgins’ time on the show, because Higgins is the most genuine bachelor she has ever seen, she said.

“From the way he comforts the women when they are upset to wanting to make everyone feel included and feel that they are in a safe environment, he is truly the whole package,” Kay said.

The fact that Higgins is from Indiana is “definitely a bonus,” she said. She has never been to Warsaw, but now wants to visit just for a glimpse of the new bachelor.

Clemens doesn’t normally watch “The Bachelor,” but she does now. She noticed how Higgins “tends to go for the sweeter ones,” and thinks it shows what kind of guy he is.

“Some of the people who have been [on the show] surprised me,” Clemens said. “I’m pretty sure it’s Hollywood and not [Higgins] making those decisions. I don’t think he’d actually like them; some are pretty shallow.”

Demopoulos also began watching the show in support of Higgins. He said Higgins is similar to what’s seen on TV.

“[Higgins] is a funny guy who’s quirky and loves to laugh,” Demopoulos said. “He’s a very genuine guy in how much he truly cares about people’s feelings.”