Seven signs you're a fashion major

Christopher Atkinson, Ball State junior, sketches out his design for his upcoming clothing line on November 10, 2015 in Muncie, Indiana. (McKenzie Price - JOUR 235)

Fashion terms

Bobbin: a cylinder or spindle thread is wound on

Seam ripper: a small, handheld tool used for unpicking seams

Sewing gague: a six-inch ruler used for measuring small areas and to mark fabric for alterations

Epaulets: decorative shoulder additions

Herringbone: a V-shaped weave, typically used in tweed designs

Lettuce Hem: a wavy hemline, which happens when fabric is stretched when it's being sewn

Neats: small patterned socks with evenly shaped designs

(via Merriam Webster and Vogue Glossary)

You know you're a fashion major when...

1. "You get asked what we have in your sewing box, or ask if it's your lunch box." - Maggie Castrogiovanni, junior

Instead of a PB&J and fruit snacks, these boxes hold needles, threads, bobbins, seam rippers and all the other sewing essentials you can imagine.

2. "You look down at your wrist and realize you have been wearing your pin cushion for hours after class." - Katie Fraine, senior

After you wear it for so long, it just feels natural.

3. "You carry around three different pairs of scissors and each one has its own purpose. If you get caught using my fabric scissors to cut paper, things aren't going to end well." - Samantha Hunt, senior

When fabric scissors are used on paper, it dulls the blade — which can be problematic when fabric needs to be cut.

4. "Your sewing labs are so long that you consider bringing a three-course meal to avoid getting 'hangry.'"- Castrogiovanni

50 minutes is not enough time to finish a garment, which is what sewing labs are for and after hours of sewing, all you can think about is all the food you'll smash on afterward.

5. "You sometimes focus more on the design aspect than on the creation aspect." -Brianna Tucker-Vanvleet, junior

Not that creating isn't important too, but some fashion majors are more interested in being a personal stylist than creating clothing items.

6. "Sharing your body measurements with your classmates is normal." - Fraine

And now that they know your measurements, maybe you'll get surprised with a one-of-a-kind outfit.

7. "People ask you, 'Will you make my wedding dress?'"- Hunt

Who doesn't want a custom-made wedding dress?