Ball State men’s basketball play’s host to Kent State

<p>Member's of the Ball State men's basketball team prepare to return to the floor after a timeout against Valparaiso on&nbsp;Nov. 28, 2015, at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO AMER KHUBRANI</p>

Member's of the Ball State men's basketball team prepare to return to the floor after a timeout against Valparaiso on Nov. 28, 2015, at Worthen Arena. DN PHOTO AMER KHUBRANI

Ball State men's basketball plays host to Kent State on Jan. 19 for a contest between Mid-American Conference division leaders.

Each team boasts a 3-1 conference record. Ball State is currently tied for first in the MAC West with Northern Illinois, while Kent State is atop the MAC East alongside Bowling Green.

Kent State is 41-38 all time vs. Ball State and owns a 12-game winning streak in the series. The last time the Cardinals pulled off a win against the Golden Flashes was on Jan. 2, 2005, at Worthen Arena.

Ball State has taken advantage of its home court this season, posting a 9-1 record at Worthen. The Cardinals are outscoring their opponents 69.3-58.3 while in Muncie.

The Cardinals will rely on its top-ranked MAC defense in terms of scoring defense, averaging just 62.9 points against per game. They will be faced with the task of Kent State's 77.2 points per game average, which ranks fifth in the MAC.

Defense has been one of head coach James Whitford's keys all season.

Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. in Worthen Arena.