FOOTBALL: 3 thoughts on Ball State's 55-14 win

10-win team

With the win, the 2013 Ball State team becomes only the third team in program history to win at least 10 games in a season. In Pete Lembo’s three seasons, Ball State has improved its win mark each season, six in his first season, nine last year and 10 this season. The last team to finish with at least 10 wins was in 2008 when the team finished the regular season 12-0. Individual records also were set in the win. Keith Wenning broke Ball State’s record for touchdown passes in a single season and passing yards in a season. Both records were previously held by Nate Davis. Willie Snead also broke the school record for receiving yards in a season in the second quarter. In the fourth quarter, Wenning broke the school record by throwing his sixth touchdown pass of the game on a 75-yard pass to Jordan Williams.

Smith has big Senior Day

Muncie native Jamill Smith capped off his final game at Scheumann Stadium in a big way Friday afternoon. The former walk-on wide receiver had the first touchdown catch for Ball State and had three total in the first half. Smith finished the game with seven catches for 133 yards and the three touchdowns in helping Ball State rout Miami for its 10th win Friday.

Bowl game remains

Ball State will head to a bowl game for the second straight season and the first time the team has done so since the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Ball State still has not won a bowl game in school history after losing in last year’s Beef ‘O’ Brady’s Bowl in St. Petersburg, Fla. Finishing as one of the top teams in the Mid-American Conference and Northern Illinois hunting for a Bowl Championship Series bowl game, Ball State has a decent shot at getting into a MAC bowl. The likely destinations will be the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl or the Little Caesar’s Pizza Bowl.