WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Rio finally in NCAA Tournament

Former libero in postseason as coach, not player

Alyssa Rio is headed to the NCAA Tournament. It just might not be in the way she always expected.

While the former player, now a student assistant coach, received several significant individual awards during her collegiate career between 2007-10, team success always seemed to elude her.

Now with the Ball State women's volleyball team set to play in the NCAA Tournament on Friday, Rio will be able to embrace one of the best team accomplishments in volleyball.

It may be strange to take the experience in from the sideline instead of on the court, but that's not stopping Rio from enjoying the ride.

"It's kind of rewarding, I guess on a different level," she said. "I think everyone would want to have that chance to play in the NCAA Tournament. But I'm still kind of part of the team; I'm just not actually out there. But I'm still excited that I'm able to be part of it."

The spotlight shone on Rio more than any other Ball State player in her senior season of 2010. Her play was so stellar that she was named the CVU.com 2010 Libero of the Year, one of the most prominent national awards in college volleyball.

As an assistant coach this season, the spotlight has turned away from her. She said she's happy to just be able to celebrate with her former teammates in their accomplishments.

"I don't want to take away from the girls," Rio said. "It's their time and it's their tournament. I'm really grateful that I can still be here and be with the girls and celebrate with them."

Coach Steve Shondell, who coached Rio in her final season as a player, said Rio is a player who deserves a trip to the national tournament after Ball State fell just short of making the field in 2010.

"Absolutely," Shondell said when asked if he was happy for Rio. "She's come back as a coach this year and [has] been a big part of our team, and now she gets a chance to participate as a coach in the tournament."

Even with Rio taking the role of a coach in 2011, she still has played a significant role in the team's success this year, just like she did the year before.

And after watching them all year long, Rio said she knows Ball State is in position to play as well as it has this entire season.

"I'm definitely excited, and I think the girls are really excited," Rio said. "I think they're going to bring a lot more energy to the court which I'm excited to see."