WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Offense overcomes sluggish start in win

With Boyd out, Cardinals rely on others for points

Even with losing senior middle blocker Jennifer Boyd to a "day-to-day" ankle injury, the Ball State women's volleyball team came out strong Saturday night in a sweep against Buffalo, 25-19, 25-19 and 25-17.

The Cardinals looked sluggish early in the opening set, falling to a quick 5-3 deficit. However, The team rebounded to tie the score at 10-all. It never looked back from there, holding the lead for the remainder of the set.

The Cardinals had an unusually high three serving errors before they even scored 10 points in the first set. But their perseverance paid off and they only accrued one more error throughout the remainder of the match.

Senior middle blocker Kelsey Brandl racked up seven kills in the victory; three in the first set.

"[This match] goes a lot faster" Brandl said in comparison to the 3-2 victory at Toledo two days ago.

In the second set, Ball State hit the ground running from the first serve. It took a 10-5 lead early and took the reins, never surrendering the lead on the way to a 25-19 victory in the second set.

Sophomore outside hitter Kylee Baker led the team with 13 kills, hitting .240.

After halftime, Buffalo gave the Cardinals a scare as they tied the score six times in the match's final set, before Ball State finished the match on a 7-1 run.

Coach Steve Shondell said that Boyd should return next week for the Nov. 4 game at Western Michigan.