WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State stands alone atop MAC West with win over WMU

Cards defeat Broncos 3-1, improving to 15-2 overall and 4-0 in conference

A message was sent to the rest of the Mid-American Conference this weekend: the Ball State women's volleyball team is the team to beat. 

Ball State defeated Western Michigan 3-1 (25-21, 25-19, 20-25, 25-19) at home Saturday to secure a 2-0 weekend over some of the top teams in the MAC.

Ball State also defeated Northern Illinois in a thrilling 3-2 match Friday night in Worthen Arena.

"Western and us are really big rivals, so it's always good to go out there and beat them," senior middle blocker Jennifer Boyd said.

For the second time this season, sophomore setter Jacqui Seidel started a match over senior Brittany McGinnis, who up until this season had started every match of her career. 

Seidel lived up to the responsibility placed on her against Western Michigan, securing a double-double with 33 assists and 13 digs.

"It felt good to be the only one to run the offense and Steve have the confidence in me to do that," Seidel said. "That really gave me the confidence to lead the team."

Following the match, coach Steve Shondell said he started Seidel as well as sophomore outside hitter Kylee Baker and and sophomore middle blocker Mindy Marx to reward the group that led the comeback against Northern Illinois on Friday. Seidel's promotion was not related to how McGinnis was playing. 

"I felt like that group earned the right to be on the court the way they finished up," Shondell said. "They did a great job. We struggled a little bit in game three, but [Brittany] came in and picked up Jacqui, and everyone lived happily ever after."

Sophomore libero and Catie Fredrich played a key role in Ball State's win over Western Michigan, finishing with a career-high 30 digs.

"I always tell her I wouldn't trade her for anyone," Shondell said. "She's just steady, match-in and match-out. I just think the world of her. You always know what she's going to bring, and that's what makes her special."

Baker continued to assert her versatility on the court with 14 kills and a .250 attack percentage to go along with 23 digs.

Marx managed to make her mark on defense, tallying seven blocks against the Broncos.

With a 15-2 overall record and 4-0 MAC record, Ball State now stands alone at the top of the conference.

Even though the Cardinals have earned one of the best starts in school history, Seidel said there is still room to improve.

"Right now, we're the only team that's undefeated," she said. "If we can carry that onto next weekend on the road, then that's really in our favor."