WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State mounts late comeback over Northern Illinois to win 3-2

Cardinals overcome a game three collapse to keep perfect MAC record alive

Kelsey Brandl stood behind the service line with a deflated Worthen Arena crowd and a sense of hopelessness looming all around her.

Northern Illinois had long since seized control of its match against Ball State, leading 2-1 with a 21-18 lead in the fourth game. One more mistake could cost Ball State its first home loss since Oct. 3, 2009.

Somehow, Brandl shrugged off the pressure. Two service aces later by the senior middle blocker, and Northern Illinois was forced to take a timeout.

In only two points, the passion and energy inside Worthen Arena had returned. For the rest of the match, it never left. 

Ball State managed to build off Brandl's clutch serves to win the fourth set 25-23 and the final game 15-9, completing a monumental comeback against Northern Illinois to win 3-2 (25-21, 19-25, 11-25, 25-23, 15-9).

"With this team this year, this is the proudest we've been just because of the character and pride the team showed," coach Steve Shondell said.

With the five-game win came high-quality play from some unlikely sources on Ball State.  

Sophomore outside hitters Whitney Heeres and Kylee Baker and senior middle blocker Jennifer Boyd carried Ball State on offense down the stretch. All three players combined for 39 kills and a .376.

Following a first-game win, Ball State fell apart in games two and three, culminating with a 25-11 collapse in the third frame.

"That wasn't our volleyball," Baker said. "We know that when we're losing 25-11, that's just not us. We have so much talent and so much potential, and it showed tonight in the way we came back.

In game four, it was bench players like sophomore setter Jaqui Sediel and senior defensive specialist Kaylee Schembra that kept Ball State's chances of winning alive.

"It was our players off the bench tonight that gave us a real emotional lift, and allowed us to finally find a combination tonight that could play well together," Shondell said. 

Baker, who is no longer hampered by a shoulder injury, emphasized how important every Ball State player was in the match.

"Without everybody, we wouldn't have gotten this win," Baker said. "I think it's really important for all of us to stay together as a team, and I think it showed tonight."

Despite the loss, 2010 MAC Player of the Year Lauren Wicinski played her best against Ball State, totaling 25 kills on 55 attempts for a .345 attack percentage. She also led the Huskies in digs with 19, besting even Ball State's libero Catie Fredrich, who had 16. 

Ball State's record improves to 14-2 overall and a perfect 3-0 in the MAC, while Northern Illinois falls to 12-5 and 1-2 following the match. 

While Ball State has little time to celebrate before playing Western Michigan Saturday at 7 p.m., Heeres said it's a win that she'll enjoy for as long as she can.

"We wanted NIU so bad," she said. "Definitely the most satisfying win of the season."