Team sets off on long road trip

The Cardinals will embark on a long road journey Sunday when they head to Dekalb, Ill., to compete in a triangular meet with Northern Illinois and Illinois State. This trip will mark the first of eight successive road competitions for the squad.

The team heads into Sunday's competition coming off a third-place finish in last Friday's Cardinal Classic. The Cardinals registered a score of 191.625, finishing closely behind Bowling Green and Illinois-Chicago.

At the triangular in Dekalb, Ball State (5-3 overall, 2-2 MAC) will face a Mid-American Conference foe in Northern Illinois (1-4, 0-2) and a nationally ranked team in Illinois State. ISU brings a no. 33 national ranking to the table and a 3-1 record.

The Cardinals have moved up to No. 27 in the nation in team high score in the GymInfo National Rankings. They are also tied for 14th nationally on bars, and rank 25th on vault, 34th on floor, and 39th on beam.

Four Cardinals will go into the meet ranked in the top 100 nationally for individual competitions. On the bars, Renee Planck ties for 45th, Lindsey Kohout ties for 80th and Cassie Anthony ties for 89th. Amy Bodus ties for 82nd on the all-around and 99th on the vault.

Head coach Mary Roth touched on the team's finish in the Cardinal Classic in preparation for Sunday's meet.

"We were way off on beam and much lower than usual on floor," she said. "We did have several individuals who turned in great performances like Quiana (Williams), Cassie (Anthony), Jamie (Irwin), and Courtney (Vojtasek). Hopefully we will learn from this and be ready for our next competition."