LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Students, faculty go above, beyond in helping out worthy cause

Dear editor,

Warning...

What you are about to read is something positive about Ball State University. Yes, that's right, this short letter actually applauds Ball State students and staff. Last Tuesday, my fraternity, Phi Beta Sigma, held our sixth annual Sleep-Out for the Homeless at the Scramble Light (we were the people with the bullhorn begging for your money). This annual event requires us to stay outside for 24 hours raising money for the Muncie Mission and sleeping in the cold for the night.

To our surprise, Ball State Students went above and beyond helping our worthy cause. Often times, we just read the paper about all the negative things happening at BSU, whether it's sexual assaults or the latest campus shooting. This can leave you with a tainted image of our campus and its students. I don't really feel as if we get a good balance of "all the news."

Well, last Tuesday proved otherwise. Not only did passing students and faculty give some of their last dollars, but also some even volunteered to help us raise more money in the freezing cold.

At the beginning of the day we started with just two jars of money but by mid-afternoon, we had at least eight jars of donations going around, as well as several greek and non-greek organizations helping us. Several students came by during the event and offered hot chocolate, snacks and even homemade chili.

Along with receiving numerous drinks and food, several students stayed around just to show support even in the late hours. Thanks to the help of students and staff the Muncie Mission will now be getting a donation exceeding well over $300. While we all know BSU has its share of problems, let's not forget to acknowledge the positive things that are happening at this university. Thank you to all who helped.

Irving Washington

senior