Written and Directed by Eric Schaeffer, Boy Meets Girl offers a twist on the traditional romantic comedy. Ricky, a twentysomething small town girl is torn between the love she has felt toward her longtime friend, Robby, and the developing love she has for her new friend, Francesca. Though it may seem like Ricky is facing a dilemma that has been addressed in a few mainstream films in the past, what makes this film different than many of the romantic comedies that came before it is that the main character, Ricky, is a transgender young woman. As the storyline unfolds, the audience witnesses the awkwardness that often accompanies young love, as well as the complexities that surround discovering love as a transgender individual in a heteronormative society.

The actor that plays Ricky, Michelle Hendley, has something in common with her character; they are both transgender women. In a climate where most noteworthy transgender film roles are given to cisgender actors, it is refreshing to see inclusivity where it counts most – representation. Movies with transgender characters have been debuting in mainstream Hollywood, yet cisgender actors have been cast to portray transgender characters. In recent years, casting choices for transgender characters have been cisgender: Jared Leto in Dallas Buyer’s Club, Elle Fanning in Three Generations, as well as Eddie Redmayne in The Danish Girl. Still, seeing a transgender actor play a transgender character – or any character – is rather radical.

In Boy Meets Girl the plot develops around three main characters. Ricky, who works as a barista, dreams of leaving the small Kentucky town where she lives to pursue her dream as a fashion designer in New York City. Robby, Ricky’s best friend since grade school who works for Ricky’s father as a mechanic. And the new girl in town, Francesca, who is more open and accepting than her conservative upbringing would suggest.

Robby has been by her side and defended her as she transitioned from male to female from elementary school throughout high school. Ricky has a loving father and an adorable little brother, both of whom love Ricky without exception. Life seems to be pleasant and boring until Francesca walks into the coffee shop one day. This chance encounter leads to a friendship, which turns into mutual attraction. Ricky begins questioning her sexuality and she begins to rely on Robby to answer some tough questions. This dynamic leads to a scene which Ricky and Robby have an uncomfortable discussion that focuses on the details of both gay and straight sex.

Francesca and Ricky end up falling for each other, which leads to a complicated conversation about labels. Their dialogue demonstrates the struggle a cisgender person has within binary thinking, and how heteronormative thinking can’t lead us to inclusive answers.

During the film, Ricky is supported by people who love her and accept her. Although there are a few exceptions. Things start to unravel when Francesca’s fiancé, Michael, returns from Afghanistan and isn’t as receptive to Ricky as Francesca had hoped. Michael’s anger towards Ricky escalates into a powerful scene where the audience learns the truth behind his hate for Ricky.

Throughout everything Ricky faces in this movie, Robby is by her side and their support and love for each other is palpable. In the end Ricky bares all to Robby, as he claims his love for her.

The film not only focuses on the complexities of finding love as a transgender girl, but also on the intertwined relationships that come along with being human. Even with some predictable twists in the story and a few spots of choppy dialogue, this movie is funny, warm, and oddly educational.