On September 8, 2015, Kim Davis, the infamous Rowan County, Kentucky clerk who has refused same-sex couples marriage licenses, was released from jail following her arrest this past Thursday. According to CNN, Davis “broke down in tears” at a press rally following her release.

Outside the jail, Davis spoke to the crowd, stating that “I just want to give God the glory. His people have rallied, and you are a strong people,” to thunderous applause. Groups have been gathering outside of the jail since her arrest, rallying and protesting for her release. Many people are surprised that Davis was jailed, as a fine is usually the first punishment for acts such as this. But Judge Bunning was well within his rights to place Davis in jail. Davis was released after her office substituted her name on the marriage licenses with “Rowan County,” which met her demands. Davis has stated that she plans to return to work later this week. She has come under fire for this accommodation, as some see this as Davis still refusing to fulfill her elected position. Mike Huckabee joined Kim Davis on stage, stating “I'm not willing to spend one day under the tyranny of people that believe they can take our freedom away.”

On Thursday, Davis was arrested and placed in jail after she was found in contempt of court. Prior to her arrest, U.S. District Judge David Bunning ordered Davis to issue marriage licenses to all eligible applying couples. Davis refused to sign the documents and would not allow any other employees to issue licenses either. Doing so placed Davis in contempt of court and was grounds for her jailing. People have been critical of Davis’ actions, drawing up past marriages and children to show the discrepancy in Davis’ beliefs. To assure Davis does not interfere with the issuing of same-sex marriage licenses, officials will be sent in every 14 days to assure that the clerk’s office is running as required.

The conflict is between protestors supporting Davis and those who do not. One side sees Davis’ actions as imposing her beliefs on others. Another side sees this as Davis standing for what she believes in. This is what the court is fighting to decide. Ever since the Supreme Court’s decision to legalize same-sex marriage in every state in June, there have been multiple small situations like this. Kim Davis’ refusal is the first to gain such press and wide-spread media coverage. According to Davis, issuing a marriage license to a same-sex couple would go against her beliefs as a Christian. Davis’ lawyer is quoted as saying that issuing marriage licenses for same-sex couples "irreparably and irreversibly violates her conscience."

Others see this situation as blown out of proportion. Many discussions paint Davis as a victim of a system that is beginning to persecute Christians for openly practicing their religion. Other groups see this issue as Kim Davis refusing to do the job she was assigned to do, even after a court order. Davis says she has no plans to resign or otherwise vacate her position, and her lawyer has stated that “She’s not going to violate her conscience.” Two other clerks in Kentucky, Casey Davis and Kay Schwartz, are also refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, though no legal action has been taken against them. Davis is the first to be taken to court over this matter.