Muncie animal shelter holding 24-hour event with $5 dog, $1 cat adoptions

<p>A cat looks through the grates of its cage at the Muncie Animal Shelter, June 23, 2017. The shelter is holding the 24 hour "Twelve Strays of Christmas" and is providing $5 dog adoptions and $1 cat adoptions. <strong>Reagan Allen, DN</strong></p>

A cat looks through the grates of its cage at the Muncie Animal Shelter, June 23, 2017. The shelter is holding the 24 hour "Twelve Strays of Christmas" and is providing $5 dog adoptions and $1 cat adoptions. Reagan Allen, DN

Those in Muncie still thinking of giving the gift of furry animals this holiday season may want to stop by their local animal shelter this weekend.

Muncie Animal Care and Services is hosting its “Twelve Strays of Christmas” adoption event beginning midnight Friday and ending midnight Saturday. For 24 hours, dogs are $5 to adopt and cats are $1 to adopt, according to the department.

Those who are renting their place of residence and are interested in adopting a pet need to bring a hard copy of the pet policy that’s within their lease. Carriers for cats and leashes for dogs also need to be provided by the adopter. 

All animals are spayed or neutered and have age-appropriate vaccinations. Each adoption also includes a free vet examination at participating veterinarians in the area. 

Downtown bar and restaurant Thr3e Wise Men is also donating certificates for a free pizza to the first 50 adoptions at the shelter.