‘The Nutcracker and the Four Realms’ is an unoriginal bore

The Nutcracker is not an easy piece of fiction to adapt into  film by any means. Due to the Tchaikovsky ballet’s focus being mostly on  visual presentation (set design, music, etc.) rather than story, it’s  hard to create a compelling narrative for a film without taking a lot of  creative liberties. When Disney decided to adapt the ballet in the form  of Nutcracker and the Four Realms, they did it in the same  fashion as their recent live-action film adaptations: by trying to  appeal to an older demographic by presenting it as a grittier  re-imagining of a classic story, and then completely removing any  semblance of charm or originality. For a concept as stupid as “Disney’s  edgy Nutcracker reboot,” I expected to at least be entertained by  the absurdity of the film’s premise, but the movie just left me  frustrated and bored by the end of it.

The story is sleep-inducing

As stated earlier, the original story of The Nutcracker is  incredibly bare-bones. On the night of Christmas Eve, a young girl named  Clara is transported into a magical dream world where she gets caught  up in a war between mice and gingerbread man. Aside from the basic  premise, there isn’t a lot else to the story since that isn’t the main  focus of the ballet. The Nutcracker ballet is something that’s  meant to be watched for the performances and music rather than its  story. In spite of that, I actually think a more story-heavy Nutcracker  film could work in the right hands. The loose story and dream-like  setting lends itself well to a lot of creativity, and as an experimental  animated film, an edgier Nutcracker could work. But this is a  live-action Disney film, and considering a majority of their films have  been retreads of their classic animated features, creativity really  hasn’t been their strong suit.

Image from IMDb

If you’re wondering what Disney added to “spice-up” this reimagining,  I hope you like bland storytelling and hearing about Clara’s dead mom  every other scene, because wow is there a lot of that. The plot of this  movie is so bland and predictable that it feels like it was made in a  factory specifically designed to make the most forgettable films  possible. If you can think of an overused storytelling trope, it’s  probably in this film.

Just to name a few, we have a dead parent, an obvious twist villain, a  kinda romantic subplot between the two leads but not really, a  tomboyish female lead who’s “not like other girls,” and a still dead  parent. Did I forget to mention that Clara’s mom is dead? Because they  only bring it up every five minutes and it’s very important for you to  remember that the mom’s dead because it’s a Disney movie, so of course  the mom’s dead and you’re supposed to feel sad. There is not a single  original bone in this film’s body and I actually struggle to remember  most of this film’s plot because of how painfully boring it is.

Wooden characters

On the subject of things that the film likes to bring up ad-nauseum,  the film also likes to remind the audience that Clara is very special  and not like other girls. She doesn’t like traditionally “girly” things  and instead likes science, kicking butt, and all that other #Woke stuff.  This is a classic case of Hollywood Feminism, and for those of you who  don’t know what that is or why it’s a bad thing, basically just imagine a  bunch of out-of-touch Hollywood execs trying to appeal to the #Woke  crowd by having a tomboyish female character who’s “not like other  girls” and hates traditional female gender roles without having anything  else to make them stand out.

Image from IMDb

At best, it’s lazy character writing that tries to make the character  seem more interesting than they actually are, and at worst it’s  actively harmful because it sends the message that femininity is  inherently bad and that women having “masculine” interests automatically  makes them less feminine. By portraying gender expression as this  “black or white” concept where one way of expression is inherently worse  than the other, it ultimately undermines the entire concept of gender  equality and ends up perpetuating sexist stereotypes even further.  Ironically, calling so much attention to your character breaking gender  roles doesn’t make you look woke, it just makes you look out of touch  and shows that you don’t understand the nuances of feminism or gender  expression.

Aside from the character being an amalgamation of the worst of  Hollywood Feminism, Clara is just an incredibly boring protagonist in  general. While the term “Mary Sue” (a character that has no personality  outside of being perfect) is thrown around a lot these days, I think  it’s perfectly applicable to Clara. On top of having the actual  personality of a wooden toy, she’s pretty much treated like a goddess by  everyone around her as soon as she enters the dream world and, despite  being the middle child of the family, she’s been shown the most  favoritism from the mom. While the older sister is left to take the  maternal role and the brother is almost ignored, Clara inherits the  film’s MacGuffin which apparently has all the answers to the film’s  conflict. Oh, and she also has a vaguely romantic subplot with the main  soldier character because he’s the male supporting lead.

If you’re wondering why I haven’t talked about any characters besides  Clara thus far, it’s because everyone else is so insignificant and  boring that there’s nothing to talk about. The only other interesting  character of note is the Sugar Plum Fairy played by Keira Knightley, and  that’s only because of how over-the-top she gets with her performance  near the end. She makes watching the film to the end almost tolerable.  Otherwise, seeing her waste her talent on this film makes me wish I was  watching Pride and Prejudice instead, since that’s actually a competent adaptation of a classic piece of fiction.

The art direction as dull as the movie

Image from IMDb

While the film is technically impressive in many aspects and features  some solid costume design, the presentation is so bland that it  undermines the effort that went into the visual effects. Because this is  the Edgy Nutcracker we’re talking about, they decided to make  everything as drab as possible, resulting in boring looking  environments. It sucks that the art direction was so dull because they  could’ve done something much more creative and interesting with the  dream setting instead of just making it gritty for the sake of making it  gritty.

The best part of the film is a scene halfway through where they  literally just recreate the ballet, because that’s where the costume  design and soundtrack is allowed to shine the most and there’s a color  scheme that isn’t completely drab. During that 10 minute scene, I was  actually somewhat entertained by what I was watching and didn’t want to  bash my head against a wall out of boredom. But even then, you can get  the same experience by watching a performance of the original ballet  without it being sandwiched between 90 minutes of awful storytelling.

Images: IMDb

Featured Image: MovieWeb

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Byte BSU!