Tim Tebow inspires, motivates at Fields of Faith

Thursday, the Fellowship of Christian Athletes of East Central Indiana hosted its tenth annual Fields of Faith Muncie event at Worthen Arena. The event’s keynote speaker was former Heisman Trophy winner and Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow.  

The night began with music led by students from the FCA Worship Band and student speakers from East Central Indiana schools, followed by Tebow’s appearance. Tebow’s speech lasted over an hour and discussed how his relationships with God and Jesus has led him to success in athletics.

“Such a big part of sports for me was not just my passion and love but also my willing to sacrifice,” Tebow said. “If I was going out of my way in all my tee-ball games, what was I going to do for something that really mattered?”

His speech also focused on the story of his first mission trip at the age of 15 and the emotional impact it had on him. Tebow emphasized how getting to know others of a less-developed culture was a major turning point for his faith and beliefs.

“I said to [the villagers] as I was leaving: I’m not sure if I’ll ever see you guys again,” Tebow said. “But I know I’ll see you and run with you in heaven. It’s incredible to know what faith can do.” 

The night concluded with prayer led by Tebow and another powerful set from the FCA Worship Band. 

“Jesus is a wonderful gift to us,” Tebow said. “We don’t have to work or pay for him. He just comes to our heart and life.”  

Overall, Tebow’s speech was well-received among Ball State students. Sophomore Blake Dollier attended the event being a fan of Tebow as an athlete, but was also able to relate to his ideas on Christianity. 

“He talked about church being the walk of life and not just a place to go every Sunday,” Dollier said. “As somebody who’s religious and doesn’t go to church every Sunday, that really hit home with me because that’s how I live my life as a Christian.”

Contact Connor Smith with any questions at cnsmith@bsu.edu