Nearly 5,000 in Delaware County without power

<p>Due to an ice storm, nearly 5,000 customers in Delaware County are without power. Both Burris Laboratory School and Muncie Community Schools cancelled school today as well.<strong> Andrew Harp, DN</strong></p>

Due to an ice storm, nearly 5,000 customers in Delaware County are without power. Both Burris Laboratory School and Muncie Community Schools cancelled school today as well. Andrew Harp, DN

According to Indiana Michigan Power (I&M), Delaware County’s electricity provider, as of around 3 p.m. Thursday, there are 4,909 customer outages in the county.

In a press release, I&M said as of 9:30 a.m. about 7,000 customers in East Central Indiana were without power. It said most of the power outages have to do with downed wires, trees and branches.

At around 5 a.m., the Delaware County Emergency Alert System sent an alert issuing a travel watch for the county and to use caution when traveling the road due to ice and slush. Currently, the agency is reporting the county is under an “ice storm warning.”

Muncie Community Schools is closed today due to the weather, its website states. Senior media strategist Marc Ransford said in an email that Burris Laboratory School would be closed as well.

The University Police Department tweeted at 7:15 a.m. that there were multiple traffic lights out in the area, including the intersection of McKinley and University. The account also said around 8 a.m. that no campus building were reporting power outages.

According to I&M, individuals should avoid power lines and standing water, turn off all lights and appliances and have an emergency outage kit ready with flashlights, water and other supplies.

This story will be updated.