The breakdown of the Indiana General Assembly at a glance

<p><strong>Emily Wright, DN</strong></p>

Emily Wright, DN

At the same time the nation is deciding its U.S. representatives, Indiana is gearing up to decide who will represent Hoosiers within the state.

On Election Day, Indiana residents will choose who will represent their district in the Indiana General Assembly, made up similar to the legislature in Washington, D.C.

In Indiana, the General Assembly has a bicameral legislature with its own House of Representatives and Senate.

Though the General Assembly meets for three to four months, it enacts legislation that affects the everyday lives of Hoosiers, such as allowing Ball State to select a school board for Muncie Community Schools and approving Sunday alcohol sales in its last session.

The 100 members of Indiana’s House of Representatives serve two-year terms with no term limits. On the other hand, the seats in Indiana’s Senate have four-year terms.

In the 2017-18 session, Indiana legislature maintained a Republican trifecta, meaning the state Senate and House of Representatives were majority Republican, and a Republican governor, Eric Holcomb, completed the trio.

The last legislative session saw 70 Republicans and 30 Democrats in the House of Representatives, and 41 Republicans and nine Democrats in the Senate.

This upcoming election, 69 House of Representative seats and 19 Senate seats are being contested.