Ball State Swim and Dive dominates Eastern Illinois behind 12 sweeps

<p>Ball State Men's Swimming and Diving competes against Ohio for the senior meet Feb. 10 at Lewellen Pool. Ball State lost 217-81. <strong>Eric Pritchett, DN</strong></p>

Ball State Men's Swimming and Diving competes against Ohio for the senior meet Feb. 10 at Lewellen Pool. Ball State lost 217-81. Eric Pritchett, DN

Behind 25 first-place finishes, the Ball State Men’s and Women’s Swim and Dive teams defeated Eastern Illinois Friday.

The meet began with a 1-2-3 finish in both the men’s and women’s 200 medley relay. The first, second and third place finishes were a common theme as the Cardinals swept the podium in 12 of 28 events.

After the relays, junior Cassidy Blackwin swam a season-best time of 10:46.11 in the women’s 1,000 freestyle and paced the Cardinals to another 1-2-3 finish. In the men’s 1,000 freestyle, sophomore Davis Meyn finished in second place with a time of 10:22.86.

One of the events that wasn’t a podium sweep was the men’s 100 backstroke. Junior Logan Ackley won the event but said he wasn’t happy about his time.

“My times were kind of slow right now,” Ackley said. “We have been working hard in the water, so our bodies are beat up, especially mine. My times reflected that. Not as quick as I like.”

Another event where the Cardinals didn’t sweep the podium was the women’s 200 butterfly. Freshman Katie Walker won the event in her first time swimming it.

“I was excited to swim it just because it’s one of my better events,” Walker said. “It’s good to see the results and to see what I can do against competition.”

The Cardinals also swept diving events. In the women’s three-meter, junior Rachel Bertram scored 309.75 points, beating her teammates by 71.1 points. On the men’s side, freshman Hunter Ongay won the one-meter with 247.50 points.

The men’s team defeated Eastern Illinois, 180.5-113.5. The women’s team won, 204-77. Head coach Jeremy Agnew said his team brought the right energy into this meet.

“Eastern Illinois did a great job bringing the fight,” Agnew said. “I thought we had a lot of great races and duals within the meet.”

The Cardinals’ next meet will be at 1 p.m. Nov. 3 when they take on defending Mid-American Conference champion Akron at Lewellen Aquatic Center.

Contact Patrick Murphy with comments at prmurphy2@bsu.edu or on Twitter @PMURPH505.