Weekend in sports: Fall break edition

Junior setter Amber Seaman, 11, attempts to assist redshirt senior  Meg Starling, 21,  against Northern Iowa, Sept. 7, 2018, at Worthen Arena. Stephanie Amador, DN
Junior setter Amber Seaman, 11, attempts to assist redshirt senior Meg Starling, 21, against Northern Iowa, Sept. 7, 2018, at Worthen Arena. Stephanie Amador, DN

Ball State students had an extended weekend for fall break, but Cardinal athletics were in full effect. In case you missed any sporting events, here’s a weekend recap.

Saturday, Oct. 6

Football

It was Rivalry Week in the college football world, and Ball State and Northern Illinois had their annual battle for the Bronze Stalk Trophy. The Huskies walked away from Scheumann Stadium with a 24-16 victory, the 10th consecutive year they’ve taken down the Cardinals. Special teams shined for the Cardinals as senior kicker Morgan Hagee went 3 for 3 on field goals including a career-long 51-yarder. 

Women’s volleyball

The Cardinals completed their fourth straight 3-0 sweep after defeating Buffalo on the road. The team had a hitting percentage of .231 on the day. Ball State totaled three aces on the day. Senior Ellie Dunn led the Cardinals with 14 kills. Junior Kate Avila added 14 digs, and junior Amber Seaman had 35 assists.

Sunday, Oct. 7

Men’s tennis

Ball State Men’s Tennis competed in the Purdue Invitational Friday through Sunday in West Lafayette. Freshman Danilo Kovacevic earned the singles championship after winning the final match in three sets (6-3, 6-4, 10-7). The Cardinals’ doubles team of sophomore Chris Adams and senior Conner Anderson finished as runner-ups.

Soccer

The Cardinals were in control from the first whistle against Western Michigan, as they topped the Broncos 3-0. Junior Peighton Cook scored in the second minute of the match, and the Cardinals didn’t look back from there. Senior Amanda Shaw and freshman Jenna Dombrowski also found the back of the net for Ball State.