Tipsy Turvey Pubcakes Beats Odds

Tipsy Turvey Pubcakes is on the verge of two years in business, but not all small, local businesses are able to stay afloat in today’s times. 

According to the U.S. Small Business Administration, over 50 percent of small businesses fail in the first year, and 95 percent fail in the first five years. This alarming statistic hasn’t kept Laura Turvey from following her dreams. She started baking at a young age and has never looked back. 

Turvey’s been baking since she could reach a stove. She was about four or five years old and started baking with her grandma, Turvey said. 

Now, she owns her own business, but that wasn’t always the case. Throughout her teenage years, she landed herself in various restaurants just so she could do what she loved. 

“I’ve worked in restaurants when I was younger. I worked at Ponderosa in high school: Subway, Outback, Lucy Lucy’s, Scotty’s Brewhouse,” Turvey said. 

But, it wasn’t until just two years ago that Turvey landed her favorite job yet. Now, she solely owns and runs Tipsy Turvey Pubcakes which specializes in baking craft beer into cupcakes. Turvey works with local breweries to showcase different beers and looks at each beer’s characteristics to mold a cupcake that will highlight the beer’s qualities. She never uses a pre-made mix or preservative which is why every batch is unique. 

“That’s why they change every week. That’s why if it’s a different style of beer or different beer in general, you’re going to have a different flavor profile; so, they’re always changing. With the different seasonal releases of beer, you’re going to have that change, as well,” Turvey said. 

The cupcakes change with every beer she features, but some popular flavors include berry, mocha espresso, citrus and pumpkin (when in season). Contrary to the trend, Turvey’s business has been on the upswing since she opened. Whereas making pubcakes used to only supplement her main income, now it’s all she does. 

“Now, I am in markets every week, other events once or twice a week, and it got to the point where it was a full time job in and of itself; as of July, this is my only job,” Turvey said. 

Turvey knows it’s unique that she gets to do what she loves everyday while making a paycheck. 

“Most small businesses fail within the first three years, so the fact that I’m not in the red, I’m not going under,  I’m building new accounts and getting new people and customers weekly, it’s very reassuring,” Turvey said. 

For long-time customers, they know exactly why the keep combing back. Kim Miller frequently visits Tipsy Turvey’s at the farmer’s market because Turvey focuses on making treats her husband can still enjoy. 

“My husband is gluten free, and she always has some cool and unique flavors for him. She is always trying new things, and she will say ‘hey, try this’; it’s a lot of fun to help her and for him to have new things that are a little different, as well,” Miller said. 

While Turvey’s business is continuing to rise, she doesn’t want to see the business reach a plateau. Her long-term goals include opening a storefront operation or getting her cupcakes into a supermarket or local store. 

Tipsy Turvey Pubcakes can be purchased each Saturday at the Minnetrista Farmer’s Market from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Turvey also posts about her upcoming events on her facebook page.