Amplify works to complete 13 remaining platform points

<p>Senators discuss potential legislation at Student Government Association’s (SGA) meeting Wednesday. At the meeting, president Isaac Mitchell updates senators on the slate’s platform points.&nbsp;<strong>Liz Rieth, DN</strong></p>

Senators discuss potential legislation at Student Government Association’s (SGA) meeting Wednesday. At the meeting, president Isaac Mitchell updates senators on the slate’s platform points. Liz Rieth, DN

Student Government Association (SGA) executive slate Amplify is nearing completion on several platform points, said SGA President Isaac Mitchell. 

While Amplify members have not completed any platform points since last month, the slate has made significant progress on the majority of its points, Mitchell said. 

“We are going to get 80 percent done with all of them by the end of this semester, and then you’ll see come spring it’ll just be like one after the other getting completed,” Mitchell said. “As a slate, were are on-point right now.”

Overall, Amplify has completed 3 out of 16 points. Here’s a look at their progress:

Completed

Parking passes for expectant mothers

Last year, secretary Kyleigh Snavely was approached by Ball State’s Pregnant and Parent Support Group with the idea for the pass. SGA worked with Parking Services to implement several passes at the start of this semester.

RELATED: Ball State adds parking passes for expectant mothers

Shuttle to football games

Amplify established shuttles that ran from campus to Scheumann Stadium during football games, Mitchell said. 

During Homecoming, the shuttle had 816 students ride it, he said. 

Shuttle to Farmers Market

Amplify has run four shuttles to the Minnetrista Farmers Market, according to SGA emails. 

The shuttles have been to encourage students to visit the market to get fresh fruit and vegetables.

Students have one last chance to ride the shuttle will run this Saturday, Mitchell said. They can be picked up between 9 a.m. - 12 p.m. by Studebaker East and LaFollette. 

In Progress

Raise awareness on sexual assault and alcohol abuse

The slate is working to increase awareness on sexual assault through educational programs, Mitchell said. 

Amplify is hosting an event Wednesday from 7-9 p.m. in Park Hall Multi Purpose Room with Step In. Speak Up.

This platform point will be ongoing throughout the year, Mitchell said. The slate plans to look into future partnerships for more events. 

Mental health awareness

Mitchell said Amplify is collaborating with the Counseling Center to increase mental health awareness.

There is a strong chance Amplify will host a guest speaker in November regarding this point, he said.

Extend Bracken weekend hours

Earlier this semester, Amplify sent out a campus-wide survey about extending Bracken Library’s weekend hours. Over 1,000 students responded and the majority wanted to extend hours, said SGA Vice President Matt Hinkleman.

Hinkleman said he plans to meet with the dean of the library later this month to discuss the survey’s results.

Expand Student Appreciation Day

SGA will hold this event November 28 from 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. Free food will be provided for students, said senator Kyleigh Snavely. 

More outlets for student input

Mitchell said SGA has sent out more email surveys to gauge student interests and opinions on a variety of topics. A report of this information will be given to senators to determine what possible legislation needs to be made, he said. 

Earlier this semester, SGA hosted a forum over John Schnatter in August to gain student input.

RELATED: More than 100 students, faculty and community members attend forum, share thoughts on John Schnatter, Ball State Board of Trustees

ROTC priority scheduling

Legislation passed in senate to give ROTC members priority scheduling. The legislation will need to pass in University Governance before it can be implemented. 

RELATED: SGA votes to award ROTC students priority registration

Relocate trash receptacles and recycling bins

Amplify is working with Green Action Team (GAT) to complete this platform point. Mitchell said he wants recycling bins and trash receptacles to be side by side throughout campus.

Amplify is working to map out their locations and present a proposed plan for new locations to Ball State facilities staff. 

Inform students on what can be recycled

Dining could partner with Amplify to complete this point, Hinkleman said. Amplify wants to have informational materials around recycling bins to inform students how to properly recycle, he said. 

Dining currently has several posters regarding this, he said. He is planning to meet with dining to discuss how to improve and increase these materials throughout campus.

Place hygienic bins in all residence halls

Amplify plans to implement hygienic bins, similar to those used for disposal of feminine hygiene products, in both men and women’s restrooms to increase gender inclusivity in residence halls, Mitchell said. 

Mitchell said Amplify plans to meet with residence hall directors to finalize and complete this point.

Allow students to use preferred names

Major changes are coming to how Ball State displays student names, Mitchell said. While administration has given no date, they plan to release a new system to allow students to choose their preferred names soon, he said. 

Amplify plans to partner with administration on this, he said. Amplify plans to educate the campus on how to use the new system and give administration student input.

Multicultural resource center

Over the summer, administration announced it would renovate the Multicultural Center. Mitchell said Amplify members want to ensure student input is put into the new center. 

RELATED: After more than 40 years, Ball State Multicultural Center slated for renovation

Shuttle from village to downtown

This shuttle could from to downtown Muncie events like First Thursdays, Mitchell said.

While a date has yet to be set for this shuttle, Mitchell expects this point to be completed soon.

Provide more opportunity for service

Amplify will partner with Student Voluntary Services (SVS) to help host Angel Tree, where student volunteers purchase Christmas presents for underprivileged children.

Additionally, Amplify is looking to potentially partner with Big Brothers Big Sisters in Muncie, Mitchell said. 

Contact Liz Rieth with comments at ejrieth@bsu.edu or on Twitter @liz_rieth.