Imagine in Glass art exhibit brings children’s drawings to life

<p>Collie The Color Monster, drawn with crayons and markers by 8-year-old Maggie Roberts, was created by professional glassworker Megan Lange. The open exhibit Imagine In Glass stands in Minnetrista in Muncie, IN from Oct. 12, 2018 to Jan. 6, 2019.<strong> Carlee Ellison, DN</strong></p>

Collie The Color Monster, drawn with crayons and markers by 8-year-old Maggie Roberts, was created by professional glassworker Megan Lange. The open exhibit Imagine In Glass stands in Minnetrista in Muncie, IN from Oct. 12, 2018 to Jan. 6, 2019. Carlee Ellison, DN

Fire-breathing dragons, exotic, gray scribble cats and pink, fuzzy puffballs — wacky creations that could only occupy the imaginations of children and the space on the home refrigerator — are being brought to life in glass for Minnetrista’s new exhibit. 

The exhibit, Imagine in Glass, which kicked off Oct. 13 and will run through Jan. 6, showcases 14 unique glass pieces all made at Ball State’s Marilyn K Glick Center for Glass and based off of a child-submitted drawing.

The creations that popped off the page and became frozen in glass are colorful and different, but associate professor of art Brent Cole said it wasn’t as easy as one may think taking a child’s drawing and forming it into a glass sculpture. 

“Even though these kids’ drawings are simple, when they start to add limbs and appendiges, translating it to glass becomes difficult,” Cole said. 

The kids and parents alike were invited weeks ago to watch their drawings come to life at the Glick Center. 

They watched as a narwhal paralyzed on page now tore through the air with its crystallized horn, and a pod of whales now beat their fins against an invisible current as they swam into reality. 

This is Imagine in Glass’ second year at Minnetrista, and while the exhibit focuses on unleashing the imagination, Discovery and Engagement Manager at Minnetrista Ashley Mann hopes people come away with more knowledge about Indiana’s glass history as well.

“We want the community to know that glass is part of the heritage of this region, and that’s why we do glass at Minnetrista, and that’s part of the reason why they do glass at Ball State,” Mann said. “We want people to realize that, and see that it’s still happening here. It didn’t leave when the industry left. People are still doing it.” 

Kids will be able to pick up their drawings and glass renditions of their work after the exhibit is over, but Cole hopes to make this a biannual event, so more Ball State students and kids can get the chance to bring their dreams to life.

Contact Adam Pannel with comments at arpannel@bsu.edu.