Floats, candy and music: The parade of the century to be Saturday morning

<p>Small American flags were given out to parade goers at Ball State's Homecoming parade Oct. 21, 2017. The parade this year will be limited to 100 floats and will commemorate the university's centennial Oct. 20, 2018. <strong>Reagan Allen, DN</strong></p>

Small American flags were given out to parade goers at Ball State's Homecoming parade Oct. 21, 2017. The parade this year will be limited to 100 floats and will commemorate the university's centennial Oct. 20, 2018. Reagan Allen, DN

A homecoming tradition is marching back to Muncie as the homecoming parade returns to celebrate Ball State’s 100 anniversary. 

“People can expect that every entry will be celebrating the university’s 100 anniversary in some way, and we’ve asked that every entry showcase their Ball State spirit,” said Hanna Kadinger, Ball State Homecoming Steering Committee parade. 

The parade will be limited to 100 floats that all have a similar theme this year to commemorate the anniversary. 

“The theme is Celebration of the Century, so we really wanted to play off of the centennial birthday for Ball State this year and also kind of make our homecoming events different from the centennial events they were having,” Hannah Fluhler, president of the Homecoming Steering Committee, said. 

The floats will be judged by their adherence and unique expression of what Celebration of the Century means to the organization who made it. 

However, Fluhler sees the parade as more than just a compilation of floats and a celebration of Ball State. 

“I kinda feel like it’s the epitome of Ball State and the community coming together,” Fluhler said. “I just really love seeing that.” 

While the parade will travel throughout much of Muncie, Kadinger said the spend to watch is the corner of McKinley and University avenues. 

“That’s where our judge’s stand is, and that’s where the announcer is as well. You’ll be able to hear what each entry wants their entry to say about their club or organization.”

Contact Adam Pannel with comments at arpannel@bsu.edu.