Ball State to be named Indiana Society of Chicago Institution of the Year

<p>Ball State will receive the award for 2018 University of the Year from the Indiana Society of Chicago Dec. 1, 2018. President Geoffrey Mearns will accept the award along with a performance from the university senior cabaret led by Sutton Foster. <strong>Patrick Murphy, DN</strong></p>

Ball State will receive the award for 2018 University of the Year from the Indiana Society of Chicago Dec. 1, 2018. President Geoffrey Mearns will accept the award along with a performance from the university senior cabaret led by Sutton Foster. Patrick Murphy, DN

The Indiana Society of Chicago will name Ball State as the 2018 University of the Year at its annual gala dinner Dec. 1 in Chicago, according to a press release issued by the organization.

Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns will attend the dinner and accept the award on behalf of the university.

“It’s a recognition by a group of people in Chicago of the growth and the increasing impact of our university,” Mearns said. “From humble beginnings a hundred years ago, the impact of our university now spreads beyond east central Indiana to clear across the country and sometimes around the world. I think that shows the influence of our programs and our graduates who produced this recognition.”

The Indiana Society of Chicago chose Ball State to receive this award because of its centennial and rebranding success, said Scott Bove, the president of the foundation. 

“We try to honor institutions and colleges that are [reaching] milestones or doing something unique over the course of the year that we are going to be honoring at the dinner,” Bove said. “Obviously, with Ball State being in the centennial year, it seemed like a perfect fit this year.” 

Ball State’s senior cabaret will perform with Sutton Foster, a Tony award-winning actress and singer who now stars in the television show “Younger,” at the request of Mearns, Bove said. 

“It’s one of the really cool, unique things going on at Ball State and we thought it would be cool to feature that –– to get it some additional exposure,” Bove said. 

Three of the songs the cabaret will perform are “Every Time We Say Goodbye,” “I’m On My Way/On My Way” and “Fly,” said Johnna Tavianini, one of the cabaret directors. The first two songs were arranged by Michael Rafter, and “Fly” was arranged last year by Michael Rafter and three alumni, Tavianini said. 

What makes this performance special, Tavianini said, is that the students will perform with Foster and alumni. Mearns said he suggested the senior class cabaret perform at the gala because having that group perform would showcase the talent that Ball State has to offer.

“Sutton Foster is available to participate and Sutton has often assisted in educating and training those students, so we thought it would be a nice combination to have Sutton Foster to perform with the student cabaret at that event,” he said. “It would give us the opportunity to showcase the extraordinary talent that exists all across our programs here at Ball State.”

Cabaret members said they were excited and thankful for the opportunity to perform with Foster. 

“I’m really excited,” Paige Matteson said. “It’s always fun just to be able to go to an event with my best friends and sing with somebody who I listened to growing up and who was a huge inspiration [for me] when I was little, and get to sing along beside her –– it’s really awesome.” 

Amanda Walker agreed.

“It’s a little reminder of how lucky we are to be in a program like this, that gives us these opportunities and pushes us to be able to go up and [perform] and not choke,” Walker said. “I think [Mearns is] a big part of the opportunities we’ve had this year. We’re pretty honored by that.” 

Mearns said he would like to thank the Indiana Society of Chicago for giving Ball State this opportunity, and all the faculty, students and alumni who have made the opportunity possible. 

“Being recognized in Chicago is a very appropriate recognition during our centennial,” Mearns said. “Thousands of our graduates live in the Chicago metropolitan area, and we continue to attract more and more students from the Chicago metropolitan area, so it’s an appropriate place and the appropriate time for Ball State to be recognized.”

Contact Hannah Gunnell with comments hrgunnell@bsu.edu.