‘Forza Horizon 4’ is defined by a difference of nuts and bolts

Disclaimer: This game was played on an Xbox One X

Since its introduction, Forza Horizon 4 and its predecessors  offer a welcome change of pace to the genre. Designed as an open world  racing game taking place alongside an annual music festival that  combines off-roading and street racing, it shook up the landscape of  racing games on release. Playground Games is always offering innovative  changes that affect gameplay in a monumental way. Forza Horizon 2 had the first dynamic weather system in series history and took place in the French Riviera. Forza Horizon 3 added an option where you could play with up to four friends online and moved the festival to the Australian outback. Forza Horizon 4  builds on this history of advancements by including a scheduled system  of seasons that not only change the look of the landscape but also  weather patterns. While the addition of seasons to the world of Forza Horizon strengthens the game’s overall aesthetic appeal, it does very little to mask some glaring design and community-based issues.

Design beyond an assembly line

Image from Polygon

While Forza and other racing titles like it never change their  fundamental mechanics between games, their respective designs always  seem to change. The developers of Forza Horizon 4 go to great  lengths to ensure that the game stands out in this fashion. The menu and  options screens have been redesigned in this fresh layout with sleek  panels guiding you to the information you need to locate. Everytime you  open up the pause menu, whether it be before a race or after, it truly  feels inviting and comes as a breath of fresh air. Even the little  things, like displaying the album art to go along with the music you are  listening to, is a touch that tells you the people who worked on the  project truly care. In racing games we seem to overlook these aspects of  the development cycle, but I can assure you it is worth it in the long  run.

The menu and tuning systems can only cover up so much for other  design flaws that players may encounter though. The largest of these  faults comes with the setting of the game itself. Forza Horizon 4  is set against the backdrop of the rolling hills, fields and forests of  southern England. Because of this, variety in terrain is heavily  lacking and leads to an overall unmemorable experience throughout the  game. Farmland, forests and green spaces create a muddled and dull  tapestry for the player to navigate. Sadly, not even the inclusion of  different seasons changes how lackluster traversing the world can be. No  landmarks stand out from the crowd and compared to the vastly different  portions offered in Horizon 3, Forza Horizon 4 feels smaller than it actually is.

Gameplay akin to a Sunday drive

Image from Windows Central

With that being said, the core gameplay of any racing title defines how much you enjoy it. Horizon 4  makes an example by keeping steady with this belief. Drifting around a  corner at 50 miles per hour, passing your rival on the final straight  and smashing the gas pedal as you head towards a stunt ramp all feel  amazing.

Other than simply racing, Playground Games offers two new series for  players to enjoy: Stuntman and Cross Country. Stuntman events have you  seated behind the wheel while a film crew captures you completing  death-defying feats for the silver screen. The group of challenges work  in a succession of chapters giving a slight taste of story to the world  while not ripping you away from the rest of the game.

Cross Country sees the player bounding over hills and fields making  their way towards the finish line in the fastest time possible. This  mode expands on the idea that you are exploring everything the landscape  has to offer and not simply racing someone or something. Both of these  challenges and the signature events that come with the change in seasons  show off the creativity that Horizon has offered all along. From  the very start these activities grab your attention and I gravitated  toward them more than any other.

Even though these two new modes are loads of fun, returning  competitions such as Road Racing, Dirt Racing and the Street Series have  begun to lack originality. After only what seems to be a couple hours,  each set of contests begin to feel awfully similar. The game just  doesn’t seem to put in the effort to stand out even with the inclusion  of seasonal differences. Winter does change the feel of competition in a  very positive way, but the fact that it is the only season to do so  feels painful. Spring, Summer and Fall just do not do enough to effect  the mundane nature of each race.

The future of the festival seems bright

Beyond Forza Horizon 4’s single player offerings that already  feature plenty of content, it is truly the multiplayer and  community-based portions of the game that shine above the rest. The  online world of Horizon 4 comes alive with the addition of true  avatars besides the traditional drivatar system. This quality of  gameplay goes hand in hand with Forzathon Live events and the all-new  Team Adventure mode.

Image from Polygon

Forzathon Live sees groups of players completing tasks around the map  including ultimate skill challenges, stunt jumps, and speed traps.  Chasing other drivers across the hills and fields competing to be the  first to the objective and beating the clock is the best feeling the  game offers. It awakens the sensation that there are more people  enjoying this game other than just you and that is beautiful. That  moment opens the doors for the connections you would hope to find in a  large MMORPG, but finding that in a racing game of all places is truly  special.

Team Adventure mode creates the same experiences put over a longer  period of time and splits a group of 12 into a two teams of six. Events  also become more engaging with classic games such as zombies and capture  the flag. Both Team Adventure mode and Forzathon Live create a  foundation for the future of this iteration of the Horizon  series. Veteran players and newcomers will surely return for more hours  of fun because of the simple online multiplayer setup the game offers.

A creative hub has also been fashioned for other drivers to not only  share pictures and cosmetic designs for cars, but also share tuning  setups and blueprints for racing series. Pieces of artwork and  photography are amazing to spread throughout this community, but that  freedom doesn’t always have the best intentions. With tuning setups and  upgrading guides being spread among the whole community, individual  creativity drops considerably. It pushes the player to choose between  customizing their own set of wheels and just taking the easy option of  picking the ultimate package already curated by someone else. It paints  an ironic picture displaying that even with the massive amount of  freedom the game offers, when given the choice, most often we choose the  least creative and easiest options.

Images: Polygon, WindowsCentral

Featured Image: Gamespot

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Bytebsu!