Strong defensive display give soccer win over Toledo

Ball State’s women’s soccer team celebrates after Julia Elvbo scored the Cardinals' first goal of the game Friday, Sept. 14, 2018 at Briner Sports Complex tying the game 1 to 1 in the second half. The Cardinals won 3 to 1 against the University of Nebraska-Omaha. Eric Pritchett,DN

The Ball State Soccer (5-1-1 MAC 1-0) opened conference play tonight successfully in a 2-0 win against the Toledo Rockets (4-4-1 MAC 0-1). 

The Rockets conceded early to a Cardinal’s corner kick scored by senior midfielder, Lauren Roll.  The delivery was from senior midfielder Paula Guerreo. The early goal scored worked perfectly into Ball State’s plans to set up in defensive mode for the remainder of the game.

The defensive solidity was a consistent factor for the Cardinal’s as they held the Rocket’s to five total shots. Head coach Craig Roberts backed his team’s stellar defensive performance.

“The Backline did a great job for covering each other," Roberts said. We’ve worked defensively through the preseason and the non-conference games and we have been tested by a variety of opponents and we’ve learned our lessons through that." 

Despite the Cardinal’s starting three underclassmen in their back line, the Ball State defensive structure was sturdy as fans have seen them this season. Senior defensive anchor Taylor Pooley commanded the backline for the Cardinal’s defense.  

“I just try being the voice in the backline and make sure we are where we need to be," Pooley said. "At the end of the day, I trust them. The Cardinal’s relentless pressing by their forwards contributed to their defensive success as well."

The Cardinal’s opened the second half inviting pressure from the Rocket’s but remained defensively sound throughout the game.  The team showcased their ability to convert set pieces as they finished off the Rocket’s from another header goal in the 85th minute by junior midfielder Julia Elvbow. Senior forward Allison Abbe provided the assist from the short corner.

“Its a great start for us, but we want to peak at the end of our conference play,” Roberts said. 

The Cardinal’s continue focusing on the MAC as Bowling Green comes to Muncie for another conference challenge Sunday at 2 P.M.  

Contact Tyler Pence with any comments at tapence@bsu.edu.