Timothy Brown: Professional athlete, actor and singer

<p>Timothy Brown appears in an episode of "M*A*S*H" in 1972. Brown had a professional football, acting and singing career. <strong>Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Timothy Brown appears in an episode of "M*A*S*H" in 1972. Brown had a professional football, acting and singing career. Photo Courtesy

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.    

Getting the opportunity to pursue a career on the gridiron or the big screen is a one in a million shot. Getting to pursue both seems nearly impossible, but one Ball State alumnus did just that. 

Timothy Brown, who was raised in Knightstown, Indiana, graduated Morton Memorial High School in 1955. 

After playing football at Ball State, Brown, still known as “Timmy Brown,” was selected in the 1959 NFL draft. He played one game with the Green Bay Packers before an eight-season stint with the Philadelphia Eagles. 

As an Eagle, Brown led the league in kick return yards in 1961 and 1963. In 1963 and 1965, Brown was third in the league in rushing. 

He then went on to play for the Baltimore Colts, playing his final NFL game in Super Bowl III in 1968. He played in the Pro Bowl in 1962, 1963 and 1965. 

Brown made his start as an actor while still playing football. His first appearance was on the Season 3 premiere of “The Wild West” in 1967. 

Upon his retirement from the NFL, Brown became a full-time actor. He then worked under the name “Timothy Brown” in order to distinguish himself from Jim Brown, the Cleveland Browns running back who also became an actor. 

Brown appeared in movies such as “MASH,” “Nashville” and “Midnight Ride.” He appeared on shows like “M*A*S*H,” “Adam-12” and “The Mary Tyler Moore Show.”

As if having a professional football and acting career weren’t enough, Brown also produced several singles. After singing at Ball State, Brown recorded “I Got Nothin’ But Time” and “Silly Rumors” in 1962. 

Read more centennial content here.

Contact Brynn Mechem with comments at bamechem@bsu.edu or on Twitter @BrynnMechem.