Former Ball State student preliminarily charged on six counts of fraud

Editor's note: A previous version of this story stated a South Bend man was charged with six counts of fraud. It has since been changed to reflect that Trail Little used funds from a South Bend man's account. 

Ball State University Police arrested a former Ball State student Monday and preliminarily charged him with six charges of fraud for utilizing funds from a South Bend man's account and putting it in his Cardinal Cash account. 

Trail Little, 20, is accused of using the funds he placed in his account to pay off of his $7,955 student tuition and to purchase various items from the Ball State University Technology Store and the Ball State Bookstore. 

University spokesperson Marc Ransford said Little was registered for classes in Spring 2018, but isn’t registered for fall courses. 

In addition to paying off of his tuition, Little used the victim’s checking account information to make several deposits in the Cardinal Cash account. 

According to police reports, Little purchased a 15-inch Macbook Pro and Apple Care for the laptop, a pair of Beats Solo 3 wireless headphones, a lighting USB cable, a USB-C to USB adapter, an Apple Watch S3 and warranty for the watch, an iTunes gift card, clothing, personal care and other small electronics from the bookstore. The purchases, which include charges from Ball State Dining, total $3,855.01. 

The purchases began on Aug. 20 and went through Sept. 12. Ball State University’s Director of Bursar and Loans notified UPD of the activity on Sept. 17. 

Contact Mary Freda with comments at mafreda@bsu.edu or on Twitter@Mary_Freda1.