Car stalled near Cow Path due to flash flooding

<p>Street between the Cow Path and Applied Technology Building Friday, Sept. 7, 2018. The flooding had subsided after the car had stalled trying move through the waters. <strong>Jake Helmen, DN</strong></p>

Street between the Cow Path and Applied Technology Building Friday, Sept. 7, 2018. The flooding had subsided after the car had stalled trying move through the waters. Jake Helmen, DN

A car stalled trying to get through a flooded street between the Cow Path and the Applied Technology Building Friday. This comes around the same time a flash flood warning was issued by the National Weather Service around noon for the area. 

University Police Department patrolman Markus Workman said the car had stalled out trying to make its way through the flooded street. He said the water at the time was past the drain but it started draining better since he had been there. 

Workman said a motor assist unit was coming to assist the stalled vehicle. 

He said drains were not working properly in the area due to debris being washed up and an overabundance of rain.

Cow Path sidewalk covered in rocks and debris Friday, Sept. 7, 2018. The abundance of rain caused flooding, transporting various items. Jake Helmen, DN

Rocks and other debris were carried by the flooding onto the sidewalk which were being cleaned up as the flooding subsided.

Workman advised drivers be cautious when approaching flooded areas in a vehicle.

“You just want to see if the drains are working,” Workman said. “Wait a few minutes. It’s not worth getting stalled out. Something might happen. A power line might be down. You never know.”

According to the emergency alert, the flash flood warning is on until 3 p.m. 

Contact Andrew Harp with comments at adharp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @adharp24.