When the summer ends: What to do this upcoming fall season

<p>Fall events including orchards, a Halloween-themed planetarium show and Air Jam are just a few on the list of many other events to attend as summer winds down.<strong> Kyle Crawford, DN</strong></p>

Fall events including orchards, a Halloween-themed planetarium show and Air Jam are just a few on the list of many other events to attend as summer winds down. Kyle Crawford, DN

With the early reappearance of Pumpkin Spice Lattes at Starbucks, pumpkin lovers all around have been enjoying them in the remaining summer months as they anticipate the season’s end and a season’s beginning.

“I’ve pulled my sweaters out. I’ve got my Halloween decorations ready to go. I’m super pumped,” said freshman sociology major Levi Bontrager. “I love Halloween. I love the weather. I love the leaves. It’s my favorite time of year. I’ve been waiting for this since summer started.”

Isaac Magsam, freshman zoology major, said he is content with the seasons changing as well.

“I’m pretty excited for [fall]. I’m happy that it’s finally cooling down. I haven’t really prepared yet. Everything is still packed in a box in the closet, so I have to dig that out,” Magsam said.

Besides fall break which is a four-day weekend on Oct. 8 and 9, there many events for fall-loving students to look forward to on and off campus as the season approaches. 

Halloween

Students with a love for Halloween similar to Bontrager can attend the Charles W. Brown Planetarium presentation of “Halloween Celestial Origins” Oct. 5, 19 and 26 at 6:30 p.m. and 8 p.m. 

This planetarium show will discuss Halloween as an astronomical holiday with regards to the sun’s positioning and the time that Halloween falls. 

For more theatrical pursuits, productions like Veronica’s Room and the Rocky Horror Picture Show are open for students to attend. Veronica’s Room, a murder mystery of madness, has several show times beginning on Tuesday, Oct. 16 at 7:30 p.m. at Cave Studio Theatre. All tickets are $6 and available through the box office. 

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is performed and produced by students on campus. Auditions occurred in April, which is when most characters were casted, but more students were welcomed to audition at the beginning of this month for open positions. The annual performance will be held at Emens Auditorium on Wednesday, Oct. 31 at midnight.

Homecoming

Homecoming falls on the week of Oct. 14 this year. The Homecoming Food Truck Festival is scheduled for Monday, Oct. 15, 6-8 p.m. in the Village and will offer a variety of food and music for students to enjoy.

Air Jam, a traditional event of homecoming week, is on Thursday, Oct. 18 at 7:30 p.m. in Emens Auditorium. Entertainment includes student organizations dancing and competing in the annual lip-sync battle.

The week will close with the homecoming football game on Saturday, Oct. 20 at Scheumann Stadium. The time of the game is still to be announced. The Cardinals will face the Eastern Michigan University Eagles.

Orchard

Ball State is not the only place getting ready for autumn. Off campus, 20 minutes south of Muncie, Jacobs’ Family Orchard has been preparing for the rush of pumpkin patch-goers and their festivities. 

Stephanie Jacobs, whose family owns the orchard, said what the orchard has to offer this fall season.

“We have our play area. We do hayrides. We have pumpkins. We have apple cinnamon donuts. We make cider. We just do all the things we do every year,” Jacobs said.

This year, the orchard also has new additions to offer. 

“We put up a new shelter by our play area this year. We’re doing some birthday parties and things with it. We’re planning on having farm-to-table dinner in the shelter in the beginning of October,” Jacobs said.

Contact Taylor Smith with comments at tnsmith6@bsu.edu.