New Yorktown coffee shop offers local coffee, homemade doughnuts

Rebecca Slezak,DN
Rebecca Slezak,DN

Open 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. everyday. 

Located at 9208 W. Smith Street, Yorktown, IN

Delaware County residents can now visit Yorktown’s first coffee shop, Coffee Breeze. 

The owners Erica and Nick Bouse offer a variety of drinks and food items with local ties in their new shop. 

“Community means a lot to us, so we wanted to make sure that we implemented some of the local businesses around here,” Erica said. “We partnered with Mrs. Wick’s Pies, and our coffee is Copper Moon, which is locally roasted out of Lafayette.”

Coffee Breeze also offers nitro coffee and tea. Nick said the nitro takes the edge and bitterness out of black coffee.

“It almost tastes like you’re drinking water upfront because it smooths the flavor out and it comes on the backside,” Nick said. “It also intensifies the caffeine dose. It's about three times the caffeine of regular coffee, but it’s smoother.”

Before founding Coffee Breeze, Erica worked with a franchise and her husband worked in corporate business, so they thought about starting a national coffee shop chain. 

In the end, it didn’t work out and the couple decided to start their own local business. 

“It’s a little nerve-racking,” Erica said. “With franchise, I know the numbers. I know what business is going to be like ... but when you start your own business, you put your heart and soul into it, and you’re just going out on a limb because you don’t know if it’s going to be successful or not. But it’s been exciting at the same time.”

In addition to running the shop, Nick is also the doughnut maker. 

There are several flavors available, but the piña colada is the Bouse's specialty.

“It’s made different[ly] than the rest of our doughnuts," Erica said. "We actually flavor the dough and not just the sugar. It’s been a hit.”

Diana Day, a frequent customer of Coffee Breeze, lives in Selma, Indiana, where there is no coffee shop. 

Day said she visits the news shop a couple times per week and thinks having the shop will benefit Yorktown.

“I think it’ll help brighten [the town] up,” Day said. “We don’t have many places to go, so it gives us more places to go and meet and hang out with people. You get to meet new people and you get to meet new friends.”

Contact Michelle Kaufman with comments at mekaufman@bsu.edu.