Young core set to lead women's golf

<p>Women's golf sophomore Manon Tounalom tees off at hole nine during the Cardinal Classic on Sept. 19 at Players Club Woodland Trails. <strong>Kaiti Sullivan, DN File</strong></p>

Women's golf sophomore Manon Tounalom tees off at hole nine during the Cardinal Classic on Sept. 19 at Players Club Woodland Trails. Kaiti Sullivan, DN File

Ball State Women’s Golf kicks off its run toward the MAC championships with a total switch from last season. The Cardinals welcome five freshman to the team this season, making up the bulk of the roster.

The freshman core includes Elizabeth Amendola, Morgan Lewis and Hadley Mortiz, along with two international members, Dylann Armstrong from Canada and Ja Santadusit of Thailand.

“I am excited for all of [the freshmen],” head coach Katherine Mowat said. “I have no idea who will rise to the top, but I know for sure that two freshman, at least, will be very strong contributors to our team immediately.” 

Returning back to the green this season is Junior Manon Tounalom, who led the Cardinals last season as top finisher in nine of the eleven stroke play events. Tonalom also earned a share of the 2017 Ball State Freshman of the Year with an average score of 78.11.

“[Tounalom] became a leader as a sophomore on the golf course, and part of that last year was a little unfamiliar,” Mowat said. “She is so talented that she embraced the role and I know that this year with her being the oldest on the team, we will see the best of her.”

Another leading force for the Cardinals is sophomore Liz Kim. Kim was second in scoring for the Cardinals last season and held a share of the 2017 Freshman of the Year award. Sophomore Emily Knouff will also tee off for the Cardinals after posting a 79 average round score last season.

“I know it brings a lot of excitement to [Kim and Knouff] to welcome a new challenge and bring experience to this team” said Mowat.

Although the MAC championships are months away, the Cardinals are focused on sharpening their skills for the upcoming spring season. 

“Every practice, every qualifying round, every tournament is a step to improve and refine,” Mowat said. “Everything we do now is leading towards the end of April.”

The Cardinals will tee off the 2018 fall season in the Flyer Challenge in Bellbrook, Ohio, on Sept. 3. 

Contact Drew Pierce with comments at dlpierce2@bsu.edu.