Women's volleyball wins big over UIndy in preseason matchup

Ball State women'ss volleyball bench celebrates after scoring a set point on Sept. 2 at Worthen Arena. Ball Sttaae went on to win the game and improve to 5-1 on the season.

Ball State Women’s Volleyball looks to have a promising season after a dominating 3-0 exhibition win Friday against the University of Indianapolis.

“Tonight showed us that all of our hard work is paying off,” senior outside hitter Meg Starling said. “Our goal this year is to set the championship standard. This match pointed out our strengths and where we need to keep working.”

A kill streak from the Cardinals sparked an early 9-1 lead, with points from seniors Ellie Dunn and Emily Holland and junior Sydnee VanBeek. A block from Starling and multiple digs from junior Amber Seaman and senior Lauren Schreiner kept them up, pushing the score to 14-2.

Greyhound hitters Taylor Jacquay and Katie Furlong attempted to keep the team in the game with multiple kills, but a deep corner tip by sophomore Kia Holder and a consistent front row performance kept the Cardinals ahead. A few more kills by VanBeek and Dunn sealed the game one victory for Ball State.

“From point one of the game, the hitters swung with intent,” said head coach Kelli Miller. “They came out strong from the get-go and you could see the confidence building up as the match went on. This team just has a different kind of fire in their eye, and they are on a mission to be the best versions of themselves.”

The Greyhounds entered game two with an ace from Alyssa Spears, and a few more solid serves put Indianapolis up 4-3. Points from Dunn and Starling tied the game at 7. A few errors from UIndy gave Ball State their first lead of the game at 12-10. 

The Cardinals went on to push the lead to 18-13 with the help of Holland and multiple blocks by Starling. Digs from Schreiner and Seaman also aided the Cardinals. Despite a couple of service errors and Greyhound runs, the Cardinals were able to take game two, 25-17, topped off with a kill from Holder.

“Our team is meshing really well,” said Starling. “We have had so many opportunities to grow together and become close as a team. It helps because we know how to push one another and bring each other up when we’re down.”

Multiple errors from the Greyhound lineup and an ace by Lauren Schreiner gave Ball State an early 6-2 lead in game three. A kill from freshman Reece Kral and a tip by Starling pushed the lead to 8-3.

The Cardinals continued their run at 14-4, but a few errors and successful plays by Furlong and Julia Kruzan for Indianapolis moved the score to 18-9, attempting to bring UIndy back into the game. Kills from Jessica Lindsey and Kral, along with more digs from Seaman, gave Ball State the edge they needed to bring in the match win, 25-17.

“We need to continue this offensive presence throughout the season,” said Miller. “We gave up a few too many easy points. We have to stay consistent and continue getting better at every skill.”

With a number of returning players and a few new faces, the team has a promising future ahead. 

Contact Gabi Glass with comments at grglass@bsu.edu.