Ball State 'carefully considering' response to Schnatter's resignment

<p>Founder of Papa John's John Schnatter resigned as chairman of the board last week after using a racial slur on a conference call. Now, he is suing the company. <strong>AP Photo.&nbsp;</strong></p>

Founder of Papa John's John Schnatter resigned as chairman of the board last week after using a racial slur on a conference call. Now, he is suing the company. AP Photo. 

After Papa John’s founder John Schnatter resigned as chairman of the board and as a member of the University of Louisville board of trustees last week, many Cardinals were left wondering if Ball State would take any action in response. 

Schnatter graduated from Ball State in 1983 and since then, he has donated millions to the university. In 2016, Schnatter and the Charles Koch Foundation awarded a $3.25 million grant toward Ball State’s John H. Schnatter Institute for Entrepreneurship and Free Enterprise.

Kathy Wolf, vice president of marketing and communications, said in a statement that the university is continuing to evaluate the impact of Schnatter’s actions. 

“The university’s leadership is well aware of concerns that have been expressed by some people,” Wolf said in the statement. “At this time, the university is carefully and thoughtfully considering the most appropriate response to Mr. Schnatter’s words.”  

Schnatter resigned after apologizing for using a racial slur during a conference call in May. He later said in a statement the words were “inappropriate and hurtful.”

This development came after Schnatter stepped down as CEO of Papa John’s last year after blaming sales growth on football players kneeling during the national anthem.