Angelin Chang: From Burris to a Grammy

<p>Angelin Chang was born in Muncie and and received a Bachelor of Music from Ball State. She is now a grammy-award winning pianist and professor of piano at Cleveland State University. <strong>Angelin Chang, Photo Courtesy</strong></p>

Angelin Chang was born in Muncie and and received a Bachelor of Music from Ball State. She is now a grammy-award winning pianist and professor of piano at Cleveland State University. Angelin Chang, Photo Courtesy

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.  

From the Burris Laboratory School to a Grammy award, Muncie native Angelin Chang is a success story for Ball State alumni in the field of music.

Chang, who graduated from Ball State in 1990 with a Bachelor of Music and a Bachelor of Arts in French, was awarded a Grammy in 2007 for the Best Instrumental Soloist Performance (with orchestra.) Chang won the award for her recording of Olivier Messiaen's Oiseaux Exotiques. 

After leaving Muncie in 1990 to continue her education, Chang pursued her Master of Music from Indiana University. She earned a Doctor of Musical Arts from Peabody Institute – Johns Hopkins University and a Juris Doctor from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law .

But Chang's talents stem not only from her commitment to education, but from her experiences growing up in Muncie.

Even from a young age, Chang's musical talents have taken her to the edges of her own world and beyond. At the age of 12, Chang made her professional debut with the Muncie City Orchestra. In the years after she graduated from Ball State, Chang traveled to places such as Lincoln Center in New York City, London's St. Martin-in-the-Fields and the Shanghai Grand Theatre in Shanghai, China.

The Muncie native grew up with close ties to Ball State University and the surrounding community. Her father, Teh-Kuang Chang, has been a professor of political science at Ball State for more than half a century.

Chang is now a professor of piano, coordinator of keyboard studies and coordinator of chamber music at Cleveland State University. 

Read more centennial content here. 

Contact Garrett Looker with comments at galooker@bsu.edu or on Twitter @Garrett_Looker.