Owner and manager of The Cup open CBD kiosk in Muncie Mall

<p>The new kiosk in the mall sells many different CBD products including edibles, vape products, oil and pet treats. <strong>Brynn Mechem, DN</strong></p>

The new kiosk in the mall sells many different CBD products including edibles, vape products, oil and pet treats. Brynn Mechem, DN

Along with clothes and cookies, CBD products is now another thing on the list of items you may find at the Muncie Mall.

A CBD distribution company owned and ran by the owner and general manager of The Cup has opened a new CBD product kiosk in the mall. 

CBD, or cannabidiol, is a compound found within marijuana. Unlike THC, or Tetrahydrocannabinol, CBD does not alter the state of the mind of the user and has been used to treat neurological and physical ailments. 

Earlier this year, Indiana’s government struggled with the legalization process of CBD products, but it was legalized in March.

Kyle Raines, general manager of The Cup, said the coffee shop has been selling CBD  for about a year now. Raines and owner of The Cup, Martin George, started a CBD distribution called The Organic Hemp Company about eight months ago.

Raines said they noticed a strong interest in CBD products all around the area of Muncie and Delaware County when they decided to open the kiosk at the mall in May.

Raines said business is very good and word-of-mouth about the stand is starting to spread.

“It’s been growing slowly, but the numbers are better than we thought they would be this early on,” Raines said.

Aaron Garinger, who has worked at the stand since it opened, said he has seen steady business.

“I’m seeing the same people coming back time and time again,” Garinger said. 

The kiosk sells various CBD and hemp products for both humans and animals including edibles, oil, pet treats, vape products and soap.

Raines said while the kiosk is not necessarily a second location of The Cup, the people who work and are involved with the kiosk are aligned closely with The Village business.

“We are hiring local people to sell an Indiana, Kentucky-made product. The money stays in the community wherever it’s being spent,” Raines said.

The distribution company sells to various businesses in Muncie, Anderson and Indianapolis, Raines said, and the company is looking into negotiations in expanding its business to other malls in the state.

“We stay busy, I mean, as far as plans for expansion,” Raines said.

Raines said the benefits of CBD oil are plentiful and are used by all kinds of different people from many different age ranges. He is hoping the product will help members of the community.

Contact Andrew Harp with comments at adharp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @adharp24.