Burris and Ball State: The creation of a grade school

<p>Burris Laboratory School was established in 1929 as a department of Ball State's Teachers College. Now, it serves students kindergarten through seniors. <strong>Brynn Mechem, DN</strong></p>

Burris Laboratory School was established in 1929 as a department of Ball State's Teachers College. Now, it serves students kindergarten through seniors. Brynn Mechem, DN

Editor's note: In honor of the university's centennial year, The Daily News is counting down 100 days to the university's celebration Sept. 6 with 100 of Ball State's most famous traditions and figures. Check back each day to read about Cardinal history.  

Established in 1929 as a department of the Teachers College, Burris Laboratory School  provides an instructional program to students from kindergarten to senior year of high school. 

The school is located near campus, right next to Indiana University Health Ball Memorial Hospital. It was named after Dr. Benjamin Burris, who was dean of the Teachers College as the school was being constructed. 

The school, which was once a part of Muncie Community Schools, became a separate organization in 1974. Burris later separated from Indiana Academy for Science, Mathematics and Humanities in 2004. 

It offers pre-service clinical programs for teaching majors and accommodates research for the Teachers College. It is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools by the state of Indiana.

Part of its mission statements says it is “based on the belief that all students can learn and will be empowered to develop their fullest intellectual, social, artistic and physical potentials.”

According to Burris records, the class of 2016 reported earning more than $1.2 million in scholarships, and over the last four decades, Burris students have attended more than 100 different colleges, universities and institutions. 

Burris also has athletics in the fall, winter and spring including basketball, swimming, track, tennis and soccer. 

Burris does not have a typical school board, and instead, the Ball State Board of Trustees has the authority over all school policies. 

Read more centennial content here.

Contact Andrew Harp with comments at adharp@bsu.edu or on Twitter @adharp24.