The Coven S4E11: Bullyhunters

We're back witches, with another magical episode of the  Coven Podcast. This week, we're looking at Bullyhunters. So it's no  secret that gaming online can be a really toxic, and playing online as a  woman or a person of color comes with the hazard of ten year olds  targeting you for that. There's plenty of evidence of this kind of  griefing online, but what can be done? Systemic overhaul of the  problematic culture around gaming? Turning off voicechat? No... clearly  the only effective solution is hunting the bullies down. Bully Hunters  was a failed venture launched earlier this month that claimed to shut  down "bullies" is CS:GO via an elite hit squad of vigilante female  gamers. During an error-ridden, cringe-y livestream, Bully Hunters  showed off how they'd shut down bullies "at their own game" by targeting  and taking them down in-game. Bully Hunters has since shut down after a  relentless onslaught of criticism: fighting fire with fire is dumb, the  campaign used inaccurate and misleading statistics and it did more harm  than good to female gamers. Where do we go from here? Was there a right  way to do bully hunting? How can gaming be made less toxic? Is this  cyber bullying? What can be done to avoid/shut down cyber bullying?  Let's gather around the cauldron and talk on this week's episode of The  Coven.

Hosted by: Daley Wilhelm, Matthew Yapp, Tyler Wheatley
Edited by: Phil Akin
Graphic by: Daley Wilhelm

Graphic by: Isabella Torres

For more entertainment, tech, and pop culture news be sure to check out bytebsu.com