Thor's hammer or green flag? Twitter reacts to IMS announcement

<p>Chris Hemsworth who is most popular as Thor will wave the green flag at the Indianapolis 500 Sunday, May 27. <strong>AP Photo</strong></p>

Chris Hemsworth who is most popular as Thor will wave the green flag at the Indianapolis 500 Sunday, May 27. AP Photo

Monday, Indiana Motor Speedway announced who will be waving the green flag for the 102nd Indy 500. 

Hollywood actor Chris Hemsworth will be trading in Thor's hammer for a notably lighter green racing flag. 

Hoosiers, racing fans and spectators alike are looking forward to seeing racers start their engines. Some even took to Twitter to express their anticipation on Thor waving the green flag. 

While Hemsworth is most famous for his role as Thor, he is also a TAG Heur brand ambassador. TAG Heur is the official timepiece of the Indy 500 and J. Douglas Boles, Indianapolis Motor Speedway president, said in a press release that Hemsworth was the right pick.   

"The Indianapolis 500 is the greatest race in the world and the largest single-day sporting event on the planet, so it's fitting we will have a globally recognized and applauded figure in the flag stand," Boles said. "Chris is a true sporting fan who is going to embrace the IMS experience and enjoy seeing 33 cars race down the front stretch at our iconic facility."

And while many are excited to watch the race, some may be more excited to see Hemsworth: 

Contact Pauleina Brunnemer with comments at pdbrunnemer@bsu.edu or on Twitter @pauleina15