Ball State police use Find My iPhone to find theft suspect

<p><strong>Mara Semon, Unified Media</strong></p>

Mara Semon, Unified Media

After someone left an office in Teachers College unlocked, an iPhone was taken from a desk Tuesday. 

In a probable cause affidavit, police said the victim was able to use Find My iPhone to track the location of his phone. 

The first location shown on Find My iPhone was the MITS Downtown station and then the phone was in the area of East Willard South Macedonia streets. 

Ball State University Police arrested Larry Pointer, 56, Muncie, and preliminary charged him with burglary, theft and resisting law enforcement. Pointer also was booked in to the Delaware County Jail on two outstanding warrants. 

Police located Pointer walking near the area Find My iPhone was showing the phone to be. 

A probable cause affidavit stated that as an officer started to pull up, “the male subject started running.”

The officers eventually were able to find the suspect inside a house in the 1800 block of East Willard Street. 

RELATED: Ball State UPD makes arrest after on-campus burglaries, search warrant

UPD Chief Jim Duckham said people should keep photographs and a list of the make, model and serial number of valuables. 

“I would encourage people not to leave valuable items in plain sight,” Duckham said in an email. “Additionally, people should lock their doors when they leave their office, home, dorm room, etc., even if they think they will only be gone for a minute.”

Contact Andrew Smith with comments at ajsmith15@bsu.edu or on Twitter @AndrewSmithNews