Threat of euthanasia prompts $20 adoption fee at Muncie Animal Shelter

<p>The Muncie Animal Care &amp; Services is at maximum capacity again. The shelter offers special adoption deals for the cats and dogs to find forever homes. <strong>Reagan Allen, DN File</strong></p>
<p><br></p>

The Muncie Animal Care & Services is at maximum capacity again. The shelter offers special adoption deals for the cats and dogs to find forever homes. Reagan Allen, DN File

Those looking for a new companion may want to check out the Muncie Animal Shelter Friday. 

Due to the large threat of euthanasia from overcrowding, the shelter is presenting a markdown on its adoption fee.  

In a press release from Muncie Animal Care & Services, director Phil Peckinpaugh said the shelter receives around 22 animals per 1,000 people in Delaware County. That places the shelter at four times the national average. 

And though the shelter sees adoptions at a higher rate than the national average, there is still a large need for new homes. 

“In the past three years, with the help of our community, we have been able to avoid euthanasia due to overcrowding,” Peckinpaugh said in the release. “I cannot recall a time that the threat of euthanasia for overcrowding was more real than where we stand today.”

In the press release, the adoption fee was announced to be only $20 during the time period of May 18-31. All adopted animals will have vaccinations according to their age, sterilization, microchips and medical testing. 

For those who are not looking for a companion for an extended period of time, the shelter provides foster opportunities.  

Those looking to adopt can interact with the animals Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Saturday from 11 a.m. to  3 p.m. However, those who come from noon to 1 p.m. may miss out on making a friend due to a lunch hour break. 

Those wishing to learn more about how to adopt a furry friend may call Muncie Animal Care & Services at 765-747-4851.

Contact Pauleina Brunnemer, a guest reporter from the Indiana Academy, with comments at pdbrunnemer@bsu.edu or on Twitter @pauleina15