‘My Hero Academia’ Season 3, Episode 5: “Drive It Home, Iron Fist!!!”

Warning: This review may contain spoilers for this episode and previous episodes of My Hero Academia

Being five episodes into the season, one would think there wouldn’t  be as many recaps, but they seem to be inescapable. “Drive It Home, Iron  Fist!!!” begins with another recap highlighting an emotional fight,  which happened just last episode. This episode continues with the  training camp arc and takes place in the heat of battle between the  Classes 1-A and 1-B and the Vanguard Action Squad. Although it doesn’t  finish the action that started in episode three, it propels the  characters forward and gives the students a chance to fight back.

Image from Funimation

After the recap beginning the episode, we hear a little more from  Tomura Shigaraki, leader of the League of Villains. He reflects on why  his last plan failed and how he hopes to fix it with the squad he sent.  This gives more explanation as to why the villains showed up to the  camp, and later in the episode, tells what they are there for.

The mood of the episode starts off hopeful but the panic soon sets in  as Deku realizes how split up his peers are. He meets up with his  teacher Erasure first, who adds some well-needed energy by allowing the  kids to fight and ignore the law of having to be registered to use their  quirks. Deku, running on only adrenaline, races to relay his message to  Mandalay so the entire class can get the memo. He also has her tell one  of the students to protect themselves more because he is a specific  target of the group.

With this episode, the viewer gets to see more about the villains of  the attack group and what their powers are. Shoto and Bakugo are  fighting Moonfish, the creepy-looking cannibal with teeth that can  become blades. From Class 1-B, Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu and Itsuka Kendo  fight the source of the poisonous gas, Mustard. This shows real combat  between different people, and allows the viewer to see some different  powers.

Image from Funimation

Speaking of the fight with Mustard, it was the first time a villain  had used a gun, and this was pointed at a student. Although Tetsutetsu  can turn his skin into steel, taking multiple bullets in gas without  being able to breathe takes its toll on him. Even though he was  beginning to crack, he didn’t hesitate to take a bullet for his  classmate, Kendo. This suspenseful fight had the viewer worried if these  students actually stood a chance against a top-notch villain.

The end of the episode doesn’t let up, with Deku meeting up with an  injured Mezo Shoji. Shoji sees how weak and broken Deku is and cages him  with Shoji’s many arms. The episode ends with them facing against a  classmate who is not able to control his own quirk.

Image from Funimation

The episode does not let up from start to finish, and somehow manages  to raise the stakes higher and higher with each fight. The animation is  once again beautiful and shows off each quirk nicely. It’s refreshing  to see each quirk raised to the limits with seemingly impossible odds,  and it is interesting to watch how each person works to overcome the  odds stacked against their favor. For such a jam-packed episode, the  fight is nowhere close to being over and the viewer is left once again  wondering who will come out on top.

Featured Image from OtakuKart

For more entertainment related content, visit us at Bytebsu!