Ball State track and field sends throwers to weekend competition

Ball State freshman Princess Carter throws in weight throw on Feb. 16 in the Ball State Tune-up at the Field Sports building. Madeline Grosh, DN

Athletes Competing

Senior Adrienne Mayfield

Sophomore Megan Graves

Sophomore Kelsey Walters

Freshman Jada Caldwell

Freshman Princess Carter

Ball State track and field will be split up again. This weekend, the throwers will travel to Marian to compete, instead of competing in the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational in Ohio. 

The throwers who will compete at Marian are senior Adrienne Mayfield, sophomore Kelsey Walters, sophomore Megan Graves, freshman Jada Caldwell and freshman Princess Carter.

Carter recorded a personal record last weekend at the Oliver Nikoloff Invitational in Cincinnati. She is not satisfied though, and still looking to improve this weekend.

“I am hoping to improve [this weekend]," Carter said. "I am hoping I’ll do better than I did. I feel like last week was a get started, first meet kind of thing, because we had terrible conditions so we didn’t go to other meets. So, I’m hoping to get another PR under my belt.”

Head coach Brian Etelman is also excited for the upcoming meet this weekend and is looking for the throwers to use the momentum they gained last week and apply it this weekend.

“I'm looking forward to how well our throws crew is going to compete tomorrow," Etelman said. "We’re coming off a great meet at Cincinnati so I believe that positive momentum will yield some great results at Marian."

While the throwers are going out and performing this weekend, the rest of the team will be staying back in Muncie to train and get ready for the meets coming up in April.

“The rest of the team will stay in Muncie and continue to train," Etelman said. "We are a bit behind in that regard, so we have some work to do to prepare for the 3 crucial weekends in April coming up soon."

The throwers for the Ball State track and field team will compete in the Knight Open in Indianapolis in an all-day meet on Friday.

Contact Olivia Adams with comments at omadams@bsu.edu or on Twitter at @Olivia_Adams5.